Some Questions

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

R2
Engineer
Engineer

Some Questions

Post by R2 »

Hi,

I have three more questions (at the moment, anyway ;)):
  1. Can I disable the normal vehicle set when I'm using a NewGRF-Set?
  2. Which signals should I use at stations?
  3. Do railway crashes happen incidentally???
Let me elaborate:

re 1: I am playing with UKRS and UKRS+ at the moment. They feature higher maintenance cost and carriagespeed limit, which I like very much. However, since I am in the Diesel age now, I cannot keep the original and UKRS locomovtives apart at all times, further I would like to discard the standard carriages altogether - is that somehow possible? I only seem to be able to activate and deactivate NewGRF, but not parts of the original sets?

re 2: I use one-way path signals on all of my railway tracks and am quite happy with them. However, I am not sure which signals to use for the stations. I have tried standard block signals, for some drive-through-stations the combination of entry-combo-exit signals seemed to work, but I am not sure. So, I am interested in some advanced station layout hints (and also for multi-lane railway layouts - not sure how often to build points in multi-lane layouts).

re 3: Recently, two trains crashed - after 10 years in service on the same tracks without me changing the layout. This is partly connected to question 2, since it happened near a station (drive-through with block signals), but is there a possibility that red signals were disobeyed? Some "human factor" in the game? The layout should not have been that faulty to cause an accident, especially since it is the first time this happens, I use the same layout everywhere else, particularly on my "main line" with ~30 trains operating on it and it has never happened there...

I hope you can help me, even though some answers might be already in some old thread here in the forums - I am also happy to be pointed into the right direction...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Some Questions

Post by Pyoro »

R2 wrote:Can I disable the normal vehicle set when I'm using a NewGRF-Set?
You can't, but vehicle NewGRFs usually overwrite them, as does UKRS, so I'm not sure why you still have them. You sure you don't have another vehicle NewGRF active?
Which signals should I use at stations?
Just use two-way path signals facing inwards (toward the station). Trains can drive through the back of them, but will only stop at the front of them. That keeps the crossings clear and everything running smoothly.
Do railway crashes happen incidentally???
Trains should only crash if you change something manually; eg. force them to drive through a signal or remove a signal while the train is traveling there or something. Mixing block and pathsignals is not a good however, so that might be the issue.
R2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2 »

Pyoro wrote:
You can't, but vehicle NewGRFs usually overwrite them, as does UKRS, so I'm not sure why you still have them. You sure you don't have another vehicle NewGRF active?
Ah, I have the "original vehicle names" installed - I thought that only altered the names, but of course that's not the way it works... :oops: Impossible to get rid of that in a savegame, I suppose, even if I am sure I don't have any of those vehicles running? :lol:
Pyoro wrote:
R2 wrote:Which signals should I use at stations?
Just use two-way path signals facing inwards (toward the station). Trains can drive through the back of them, but will only stop at the front of them. That keeps the crossings clear and everything running smoothly.
Excellent! That would then also work on drive-through stations, correct?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

You could, but it's difficult to predict what it'd do. Probably not worth the risk. Try to ignore them and kick the GRF out for the next game ;)

And, yes, works for drive-through stations. For dead-end stations, if you use PBS signals, you technically don't even need signals, I think. It's just weird though, building a station without signals, so I always put them there anyway ^^; But you don't absolutely have to.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

R2 wrote:
Pyoro wrote:
Ah, I have the "original vehicle names" installed - I thought that only altered the names, but of course that's not the way it works... :oops: Impossible to get rid of that in a savegame, I suppose, even if I am sure I don't have any of those vehicles running? :lol:

(From my perspective,"original vehicle names" is a salvation since I DON'T want to lose the original set by adding a NewGRF set (or two or ten)...

Return to “General OpenTTD”