So I still have two monorail tiles and I can't find them

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Fastphil
Engineer
Engineer

So I still have two monorail tiles and I can't find them

Post by Fastphil »

I've been playing the same map forever (it's at year 3278), and I've been using Maglev exclusively for the longest time as well. In the Infrastructure details pane, it shows that I have two Monorail tiles. I know it's extremely anal, but I want to get rid of them. I don't want to convert them, I want to demolish them. I've scoured the minimap with the company colors, changed company colors to get more contrast on the minimap, etc. but I can't find those two damn tiles. Needless to say, I don't want to bulldoze every free square of land to find them. Is there any way to locate them that I haven't seen? While I'm at it, there's also 5 road tiles that I want to get rid of. These could be grade crossings, but I don't want to randomly destroy those. Any advice?

Phil
Sylf
President
President

Re: So I still have two monorail tiles and I can't find them

Post by Sylf »

What you can do is to get estimate of rail conversion to maglev, medium area of the map at a time. (Shift-highlight an area while rail conversion tool is active.) If you actually get estimated cost, then those two pieces of monorail are within the area you highlighted. If it says "No suitable railroad track", then all pieces of rail tracks in that area are already maglev. Once you narrow the target to one medium area of the map, you can start scanning smaller area at a time. Repeat the process until you find the exact location.

Be sure to also use the transparency option (ctrl-x) to completely hide town buildings, trees, and other structures, so you get clear view of all rail tracks.
Fastphil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fastphil »

Sylf wrote:What you can do is to get estimate of rail conversion to maglev, medium area of the map at a time. (Shift-highlight an area while rail conversion tool is active.) If you actually get estimated cost, then those two pieces of monorail are within the area you highlighted. If it says "No suitable railroad track", then all pieces of rail tracks in that area are already maglev. Once you narrow the target to one medium area of the map, you can start scanning smaller area at a time. Repeat the process until you find the exact location.

Be sure to also use the transparency option (ctrl-x) to completely hide town buildings, trees, and other structures, so you get clear view of all rail tracks.
Thanks, I followed your advice and was able to find both pieces within a few minutes. One was hidden behind a power plant's exhaust stack and the other was on the outskirts of a city.

Any advice for finding the five road tiles?
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I often try to do the same thing but even with the minimap showing my company assets it's often nearly impossible. I usually resort to querying every likely tile. It can take a while...
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Personally I just find it amazing that you can play a long-running game of OpenTTD and only build 5 road tiles. Even where I don't use road vehicles, I still use roads to help and guide town growth.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

You can hire an AI for that :p
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

Fastphil wrote:Any advice for finding the five road tiles?
Open the owners map, zoom in and look around for single pixels of your company color. You might need to temporarily change your company colors for better contrast.

There is something that will not show up on the map. If you built and then later demolished a depot or bay style station, it will leave behind an intersection. even if the town owns the road, you own the quarter tile that forms the intersection. you will need to look in every town for intersection tiles with missing road connections.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I never build monorails and rarely build roads (I demolish abandoned roads to inconvenience competitors,though).
But stray unelectrified rail tiles can be very elusive,I'm rarely completely free of them.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I have almost completely maglev-converted this game...the goods train from Bootminster South is the only one I run that is not maglev,and its line and a disused 5-tile platform at a sawmill are I believe my only non-maglev tracks...they are electrified from end to end.
But my infrastructure inventory says I have 3 unelectrified rail tiles...where are they?

(The game started in 1901).
Attachments
LittleOldWorldRedRailroad,1stJul2033.sav
(314.94 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Use the technique in post 2 by Sylf. Just do large block converts to electric rail and eventually you should be able to find them.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I don't want to turn my maglev lines into electric rail to find my rogue non-electric rail!
Fastphil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fastphil »

Baldy's Boss wrote:I have almost completely maglev-converted this game...the goods train from Bootminster South is the only one I run that is not maglev,and its line and a disused 5-tile platform at a sawmill are I believe my only non-maglev tracks...they are electrified from end to end.
But my infrastructure inventory says I have 3 unelectrified rail tiles...where are they?

(The game started in 1901).
Perhaps do a cost estimate for conversion to maglev, while working around the known locations that you don't want to convert?
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

You hold down the shift key while converting and it'll tell you the cost but not do the conversion. If you had read post 2 properly, that what it suggests.

As an aside, if I'm doing something 'dangerous', I pause the game, save it and then start messing about (changing rail and signals is a particular problem). If anything goes wrong then I can reload the save and avoid the accidental disaster.

Oh, hang on, you'd be converting existing rail/maglev to electrical rail...but that includes maglev! Yes, do what Fastphil suggests. I was thinking that you could just upgrade rail to electric rail...but that's not easy with lots of maglev around.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

If you're prepared to do a lot of load/save, you can save, convert a part, and then check the infra structure counts for a decrease in rail pieces.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “General OpenTTD”