Back after a really long time...

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

FrancoisH
Engineer
Engineer

Back after a really long time...

Post by FrancoisH »

Hello there,

I'm back to OpenTTD after a few long month, even over a year if I'm not mistaken...

Could you tell me what are the absolutely needed NewGRF to start back this game ? What are those that are fun and those that I don't need at all now that the game evolved to a new version ?

Some NewGRF are over 5 years old and I don't really know if they are needed or not :)

Thanks.
kamnet

Re: Back after a really long time...

Post by kamnet »

As a rule, you never need a NewGRF in order to play OpenTTD. The core install comes with everything you need to install, play and enjoy the game.

NewGRFs are simply there for players to enhance their gameplay by adding new types of vehicles, economies/industries, or other graphical changes (different buildings, bridges, objects, infrastructure, etc.). Unless a NewGRF was badly coded (there are a few), nearly all of them are still valid to play in the latest release. Most of the are regularly updated in the event that OpenTTD updates break something in a NewGRF.

I myself help maintain a fairly complete list of NewGRFs - http://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_List - this has titles and short descriptions of the NewGRFs with links back to the forums so you can read up on them.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

kamnet wrote: I myself help maintain a fairly complete list of NewGRFs - http://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_List - this has titles and short descriptions of the NewGRFs with links back to the forums so you can read up on them.
That is genuinely a neat resource. First time i've come across that. Should be advertised a bit more for sure!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

A lot of them are also available from the in-game content download service. Some of them have bad or no descriptions, and only in the last few years have authors been able to include things like documentation/readme and links to websites for more information. Many of the older ones simply aren't available for in-game download because their authors have disappeared.
FrancoisH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FrancoisH »

Thank, I thought I didn't need anything but... I were asking for a few good NewGRF according to your experience as players.

And for the list, I thank you so much, but I had trouble to find something up to date and hopefully your list is. This is a great thing I weren't able to find myself so...

Thank you !
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Redirect Left wrote: That is genuinely a neat resource. First time i've come across that. Should be advertised a bit more for sure!
Indeed! I've just come across it now.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Kamnet:

I always wondered how you apparently knew about obscure and long-lost grfs...now I know.
That page gets a bookmark.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

3iff wrote:I always wondered how you apparently knew about obscure and long-lost grfs...now I know.
Many of them I knew of because I've wasted many, many hours combing through TT-F and other websites to find them. I only became aware of the NewGRF List in 2013 and threw in my lot to help keep it up.

Return to “General OpenTTD”