No new title screen

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

No new title screen

Post by White Rabbit »

It's been a while since I've played this game. I recall at least two title screen competitions having taken place, but after downloading 1.6.0, I was met with the original OTTD title screen from the year 2004. How do I get the new title screens?
kamnet

Re: No new title screen

Post by kamnet »

The title screen competition is normally organized by Planetmaker. However, no such competition was organized for this year's release.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

White Rabbit wrote:It's been a while since I've played this game. I recall at least two title screen competitions having taken place, but after downloading 1.6.0, I was met with the original OTTD title screen from the year 2004. How do I get the new title screens?
You could create your own titlescreen by renaming a save-file to opntitle.dat and placing it in the baseset folder of your OpenTTD install folder. If you want to use one of the previous titlescreens, you can download the zip-archive for that release and get the opntitle.dat file from it.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Clemo56
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Clemo56 »

Transportman wrote:
White Rabbit wrote:It's been a while since I've played this game. I recall at least two title screen competitions having taken place, but after downloading 1.6.0, I was met with the original OTTD title screen from the year 2004. How do I get the new title screens?
You could create your own titlescreen by renaming a save-file to opntitle.dat and placing it in the baseset folder of your OpenTTD install folder. If you want to use one of the previous titlescreens, you can download the zip-archive for that release and get the opntitle.dat file from it.
Great tip i never knew you could do that!
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

kamnet wrote:The title screen competition is normally organized by Planetmaker. However, no such competition was organized for this year's release.
So new releases don't use the title screens of previous ones, but instead revert back to the default?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

White Rabbit wrote: So new releases don't use the title screens of previous ones, but instead revert back to the default?
Usually yes. However if you upgrade OpenTTD like I do by simply replacing the .exe and lang files, you keep the previous title screen along with all config settings, saves, NewGRFs, etc. (if you keep your .cfg in the install folder)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

You shall also replace the compat.nut files and possible some other files too. If you use a new version of OpenTTD with compat.nut files from the past, scripts that you run that were made for an old version of OpenTTD may not work correctly.

In general, replace all files when you extract a new version. Only don't on file types you know exactly what they do and are fine with the consequence of not overwriting it.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

openttd has several places where it searches for its data, details are platform-dependentn, and explained fully in the readme file. If you move your openttd.cfg file, to one such place outside the openttd directory, all openttd program will share that new place, and put their files there. That makes is much easier to have several versions of openttd at the same system, which in turns makes that you can simply delete the openttd directory when you want, since all important files, such as downloaded newgrf and save files, are at the new shared place.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I do my upgrades through the FreeBSD Ports system.
I do regret not saving the 1.5 titlegame but I assume it can be downloaded from its competition topic?
BobFish
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BobFish »

I wish there was a way I could make my desktop background like the title screen.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

BobFish wrote:I wish there was a way I could make my desktop background like the title screen.
Run the game full screen, take a screen shot, update your background wallpaper.
BobFish
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BobFish »

kamnet wrote:
BobFish wrote:I wish there was a way I could make my desktop background like the title screen.
Run the game full screen, take a screen shot, update your background wallpaper.
I mean having it move. I'll probably use the method someone listed earlier to get a screen shot of one of my games though.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Animated wallpapers are actually possible on Windows 7 and newer.

Return to “General OpenTTD”