Has OpenTTD 1.6.0 been official released?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Pod
Engineer
Engineer

Has OpenTTD 1.6.0 been official released?

Post by Pod »

Frontpage of OpenTTD indicates 1.6.0 RC1 is the latest release, via this news item (https://www.openttd.org/en/news/225). That was released on 2016-03-01.

But the stable release download page, https://www.openttd.org/en/download-stable, says Latest release in stable is 1.6.0, released on 2016-04-01 18:34 UTC.!! If you download it and play then it claims to be 1.6.0, not 1.6.0RC1, and it uses the really old nightly titlegame.

So this is confusing! :)

Has 1.6.0 been officially moved from RC to release, to no fanfare or comment on the forums? Or is this some kind of mistake? And if it has been released -- what's the deal with the lack of titlegame competition?
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Has OpenTTD 1.6.0 been official released?

Post by bokkie »

Changelog (can be found on download page)

1.6.0 (2016-04-01)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
(None)

So yes, it's the same as RC1.

No idea about the titlegame. Maybe PM didn't have spare time?
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

It's released on April 1st, same as every feature update for years.

Just no-one's written a message (or, apparently, remembered to change the titlegame).

Note that the release messages for 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 were also written a couple of days after the actual release.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

bokkie wrote:Changelog (can be found on download page)

1.6.0 (2016-04-01)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
(None)

So yes, it's the same as RC1.

No idea about the titlegame. Maybe PM didn't have spare time?
I installed the FreeBSD port of 1.6 last night without thinking to save the 1.5 titlegame to a separate directory.Is it on a competition topic?
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Yes, 1.6.0 is as official as it gets.
Pod wrote:what's the deal with the lack of titlegame competition?
The titlegame competitions were started in 2010. Back then there were more than 10 active developers, who maintained mostly only OpenTTD.
Today there are - if you are lucky - 2 semi active developers, who maintain not only OpenTTD, but also the DevZone and numerous related tools like GrfCodec, NML, Eints, ... some of which were maintained by non-OpenTTD-developers before.

So, naturally you need to scale down and drop some things.

The news messages for 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 were written by some reddit folks (I believe). If you feel like it needs a post, feel free to write something :)
On the forums they usually get about 0 replies (same as in RC anyway); no idea whether or why people check the website (regulary), or whether they use the RSS feeds or similar.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I'm using RSS feed to track OpenTTD releases, and 1.6.0-final was announced via RSS.

Would still be nice to update the website.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

frosch wrote:On the forums they usually get about 0 replies
That doesn't mean that they are not read. I for one appreciate the forum announcements, but I don't usually feel any need to reply to them. May be there should be more citizens celebrating when a new trunk version is released, I don't know.

BTW, I downloaded a new nightly today (r27535) and the changelog.txt has 1.5.3 (2015-12-01) as the newest release.

Return to “General OpenTTD”