No income from freight trains

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

No income from freight trains

Post by RedEclipse »

Hi guys,

I've been playing tycoon for long time and this is my favorite game since 95's. I never had income problems before buuut... I started new scenario with a little bit harsher economical conditions.
Costs of build: medium
Costs of maintenance: medium
infrastructure maintenance is on

OTTD 1.5.3, 2cc trains and dutch tracks grf's.

So current year is 2350 and all I'm doing is building a passenger high speed network, as all my attempts of building some industrial train chain is not profitable or barely maintain itself, as train tracks still takes lots of cash. Aswell bought trains with little cost maintenance such as TEP80 but no luck so far... What I doing wrong? Or its okay for these settings I've chosen?
RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

Re: No income from freight trains

Post by RedEclipse »

Yes, its enabled.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Inflation is starting to eat away at your profit then. If you turn it off inside your current game that will stem the bleeding. Unfortunately Inflation enabled combined with NewGRF vehicles and economies leads to a broken model. It's typically suggested to play with inflation disabled if you're using NewGRFs that alter costs.
RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RedEclipse »

Oh, I see. I thought that maintenance costs is OP somehow with custom GRF's, as such things as intercontinental airports makes me bankrupt(applies for a long tunnels,unused rail too). Though TGV Duplex and A380 was my lifebuoy. Will try to disable it and try it out, thanks.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

kamnet wrote:Inflation is starting to eat away at your profit then. If you turn it off inside your current game that will stem the bleeding. Unfortunately Inflation enabled combined with NewGRF vehicles and economies leads to a broken model. It's typically suggested to play with inflation disabled if you're using NewGRFs that alter costs.
I thought inflation automatically stopped after running for 170 years of game time?
(Remember,the current year is 2350 though the OP didn't say what year he started).
RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RedEclipse »

Things are getting better now, freight trains now aswell as passengers ones takes the profits, though not so much as it used before in previous scenarios.

Scenario was started in 1888

btw, don't know current optimal method to increase production of industries. Remember the times when rating on station 65% was like a right way to do it. Now industries tend to decrease/stay on same number when train takes the cargo, but with trucks everything goes smooth, production increase. why?
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

2cc train set's running cost is set pretty high to make the game "more challenging." If you play with it using its default running cost, and with inflation, you don't need to wait 170 years before the economic model to break.

The increase of primary industry's production hasn't changed, unless you're using one of the industry NewGRFs. For those industry NewGRFs, consult their documentations (if provided) for details how the production levels are handled. For default industries, this wiki page has all the gory details.
RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RedEclipse »

Need to mention that Dutch Rail Set is enabled too, heard its a bit rough on maintenance too. Well, I thought about to start a new game but realized that I did a lot of stuff in my current game and don't want to loose the progress... But save is barely playable. Is there any way to reset inflation?

As well I suggest in inflation setting let people know and add some text like "may ruin your economy if you are going to play scenario for long time". Might help someone.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

RedEclipse wrote:Is there any way to reset inflation?
No.
RedEclipse wrote:As well I suggest in inflation setting let people know and add some text like "may ruin your economy if you are going to play scenario for long time". Might help someone.
Inflation by itself doesn't ruin games. It's the combination of inflation and NewGRF that can break the game. There are many NewGRF's readme documents that mention that they are not compatible with inflation setting precisely for this reason. It's 2cc Train Set's readme who should include this warning, not the inflation setting itself. (imho)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

RedEclipse wrote:Need to mention that Dutch Rail Set is enabled too, heard its a bit rough on maintenance too.
I never heard that, but if it is really rough, I can always look at changing it.
Well, I thought about to start a new game but realized that I did a lot of stuff in my current game and don't want to loose the progress... But save is barely playable. Is there any way to reset inflation?
You cannot reset inflation, but you could load a base cost NewGRF to reduce costs (note that changing the NewGRF configuration of saves does have some risks and is not supported, so if anything breaks, nobody will help you).
Sylf wrote:There are many NewGRF's readme documents that mention that they are not compatible with inflation setting precisely for this reason.
I have never read a readme that mentioned it (although I also do not really read readmes.
It's 2cc Train Set's readme who should include this warning, not the inflation setting itself. (imho)
I disagree. The inflation setting should clearly indicate what it does, and it does increase costs faster than the profits. Then it is on one place, and on the place that causes the problem.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Transportman wrote:
Sylf wrote:There are many NewGRF's readme documents that mention that they are not compatible with inflation setting precisely for this reason.
I have never read a readme that mentioned it (although I also do not really read readmes.
I don't remember seeing any actual readme that suggests to turn inflation off. The closest I've seen is statements on related documentations, like this one for NARS, for example.
RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RedEclipse »

Transportman wrote:You cannot reset inflation, but you could load a base cost NewGRF to reduce costs (note that changing the NewGRF configuration of saves does have some risks and is not supported, so if anything breaks, nobody will help you).
Thank you very much. This saved my game, just reduced price of rail maintenance costs by half. Btw, tell me if i am right, inflation will be worse in each next decade? It'll degrade?
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

RedEclipse wrote:
Transportman wrote:You cannot reset inflation, but you could load a base cost NewGRF to reduce costs (note that changing the NewGRF configuration of saves does have some risks and is not supported, so if anything breaks, nobody will help you).
Thank you very much. This saved my game, just reduced price of rail maintenance costs by half. Btw, tell me if i am right, inflation will be worse in each next decade? It'll degrade?
Inflation will degrade your performance as it continues to increase costs with a larger factor than the income. But if you turn it off in a running game, it will no longer increase costs from that moment onward.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML

Return to “General OpenTTD”