How to structure a realistic mainline with express and stopping services

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

How to structure a realistic mainline with express and stopping services

Post by dol422 »

Has anyone got any good tips on how to structure a mainline that looks realistic and has both express and stopping services. I am mainly aiming to currently create a two-track mainline and seem to think I'm missing something. The closest I've got is building 4 track stations at either end of the line with one or two 4 track stations in between with many platforms for stopping services, and having express services go in between the big stations.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
Dave

Re: How to structure a realistic mainline with express and stopping services

Post by Dave »

Worth noting that most British main lines are quadrupled through areas where stopping services are prevalent.

Without timetables, it's unlikely you'd be able to recreate a two track incarnation.

You've got the right idea by providing loops at wayside stations, so fast trains can pass stopping services.

OpenTTD can't quite match the intricacies of real life, but with a bit of fiddling and bodging, you can fairly accurately replicate some of the quirks of real life, especially those in Britain.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Well, Dave, I do use timetables, but am unsure of how long stopping services should stay in the side stations. I also do plan on quadrupling the track eventually but try to get the basic line set up first with the basic required services.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I was suggesting some sort of expertise there wasn't I? I still can't work out timetables on a complex scale. Would be happy to take advice from others alongside dol.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Yes, you were. I use timetables with a sense of simplicity. I set up a prototype train to run along a route and wait for it to return to its first station before sorting its timetable out and releasing other trains on the route. Can work if done correctly.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Here's how to build a locla station:
A train approaches the Entrance Signal, it has 2 choices, go via the station to the station signal or bypass the station and go straight to the stop signal. This means that if a local service is stopped at the station it has to wait until the express service (if there is one) clears the block, as shown below.
Of course, if the stopping service leaves before the express train it will go first and the express will have to drive behind it to the next passing loop, this can be countered by tweaking with the timetabling, though.
Sarin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sarin »

Hm, how abotu putting a waypoint on a track next to the station and making the express go through it, avoiding the station?
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Sarin wrote:Hm, how abotu putting a waypoint on a track next to the station and making the express go through it, avoiding the station?
Won't make a difference, the express service will route itself around because the game is designed so that trains will always try and bypass stations if they don't need to stop there. I find that what I do with the signals works really well.

Return to “General OpenTTD”