OpenTTD + Anno Mod

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

error
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD + Anno Mod

Post by error »

Hello OpenTTD fellows!

About 2 years ago I came up with a mod idea for OpenTTD which I want to present you here. Actually I also changed the OpenTTD code
to make everything happen within a week, but lost focus when it came to making this mod fun with new industries, graphics etc.. Here is what I implemented:
(in brackets a "m" or a "h" shows how long it roughly took to implement (m for minutes, h for hour(s))):

- each company not only has money, but iron, stone, wood, oil and knowledge (m)
- almost everything not only cost money, but the stuff mentioned before, some examples: (m)
1 normal railroad track: money, 1 unit wood, 1 unit iron
1 coal/oil locomotive: money, x units iron, wood or oil and daily costs of money, wood or oil (depending if it runs with coal or oil)
- each company can build industries which have low costs and are associated to the building company, so if I build a coal mine, noone else
can get the coal from it except of me (also no restriction of 1 industry per city) (m)
- each company can build storage buildings which accept iron, stone, wood and oil. if you bring one of those to it, you do not get money from it,
but the stuff you brought there (iron, stone, wood or oil). (m)
- in the beginning there are no cities and industries, oneself can build them (m)
- the world is seperated into 3 climates, arctic, normal and tropical (arctic in the north, normal in the middle and tropical in the south) (m)
- a lot of industries can only be build in only one of the climates (like tropical foods only in the tropical climate) (m)
- in the tropical climate plantations need water from wells, which are to some extend allready at beginning there and are very expensive to build (m)
- capacity and speed of ships are increased a lot (m)
- maps with big islands, terraforming with water extremely expensive and long bridges connecting islands too (h)
- a lot of different goods, e.g.:
food: level 1 or 2 good: e.g. fruits or wheat -> bread: can be produced in all climates, but mostly in tropical (level 1 food), less in normal (level 2 food) and even less in arctic climate
newspaper: level 3 good: wood -> paper -> newspaper
alcohol: level 1 or 2 good: e.g. wine or wheat -> whiskey
- each building in a city has levels, if you start a city it only consists of level 1 buildings (and only a few of them). (one can see the level of the building through it's graphic). (m)
- on level 1 the buildings only for example need food, clothes (there are a lot of different levels which all need different stuff (e.g. newspaper), but usually also need the stuff from the lower levels) (m for principle, h for a good concept)
- one can build city storage buildings in the range of buildings, the buildings will take the stuff they need (if lvl 1 e.g. only food and clothes) and will pay the company with money (this is the only source of getting money, yes the green numbers of money will pop up above the buildings) (m)
- if a building of a specific level gets everything it wants (through a storage building in it's range, e.g. lvl 1: food, clothes, stones and wood), then it will level up to a lvl 2 building within weeks (it takes food and clothes frequently and pays money for it and only need stones and wood once to level up). (m)
- the higher the level of the buildings the higher the needs and the more they pay for them (m)
- in city industries (like the bank in openttd), for example a university which produces and accepts knowledge (m)
- if one transport knowledge from one university to another (only one allowed in 1 city) the company gets knowledge (m)
- with this knowledge highly advanced buildings/tracs/vehicles can be build, also for example airports can only be build with knowledge (m)

what I did not implement but would be nice:
- making a preset of lets say 100 islands and prgramming the auto map generator that it randomly puts some of those islands on the map
- some sort of trading system
- wood brought to a storage building on 1 island can only be used on that island and has to be transported to other islands to be used there (e.g. to build industries)
- new graphics
- nice concept of what industries, what goods, what everything costs etc.

Sadly I lost focus, maybe such a project is too much for 1 person, or maybe I am not that good in making graphics (it took me ages for the really basic ones and did not look that good). Maybe somebody else is interested and can make this happen, since in my opinion this can be a lot of fun. I could still help in making this project, but sadly not with that much time (maybe around 3 hours a week). As soon as I find screenshots from the project I will add it.
Xander
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: OpenTTD + Anno Mod

Post by Xander »

Sounds cool. Is it on GitHub?
Real Tycoons do it on Trains!

JAMI: Just Another Moronic Intelligence
error
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD + Anno Mod

Post by error »

Sadly I do not find the code anymore... (also used git, but only offline), but everybody who is familiar with the openttd code can do most of the changes within a few hours. actually there is nothing really complicated, just a few changes here and there. The most time to make this fun would go into making sprites for new buildings (e.g. storage buildings) and to think through a good cargo, industry, level tree

also made a cargo tree I could find (if a industry does not have a 2. or 3. production group, then it will produce it's first production group out of nowhere, like for example forests that produce woods without bringing something to them):

Code: Select all

1. production group				                      2. production group				       3. production group

city                                   Passengers (from buildings of a given level)							
city                                   Post	 (from buildings of a given level)							
Grain field                        grain								
Grain mill                          grain                                                         ->	flour				
bread shop                                                                                                flour	                          ->	bread, food lvl 1
distillery                            grain			                                         ->	Wiskey, Alcohol       	
spicery plantation 	         water                               			       ->	spicery				
bakery                                                                                                     flour	+	fruits               ->	pastry, food lvl 3
cattle ranch                      meat, food lvl 1	+	leather					
plantation	                         water                               			         ->	grapes, food lvl 2				
winegrower                                                                                                grapes                       ->	wine, alcohol
fruit orchard                     water			                                     ->	fruits, food lvl 2				
fishery                              fish, food lvl 1								
farmer sheep                   cotton	+	meat, food lvl 1						
tailoring                            cotton			                                      ->	clothes				
gold mine                          jewelry								
diamond mine                   diamonds								
cotton plantage                water			                                      ->	cotton				
well                                  water								
potato plantation               potatoes, food lvl 1								
furniture manufacture               wood			                                    ->	furniture				
gaffer                               sand			                                    ->	glass				
                                         steel			                                           ->	bathtub				
                                         steel	+	oil	                                           ->	oven				
                                         stones	+	wood	                                   ->	oven				
                                         marmor								
                                         wood			                                           ->	newspaper							
ore mine	                         steel								
stone pit	                         stones								
oil rig	                         oil								
oil production on land	 oil								
forest	                         wood								
university	                         knowledge								

city									
house lvl	           needs to level up								
1	                      wood		           water		           food lvl 1				
2	                      stones		   leather		           newspaper				
3	                      glass		           clothes	           	   furniture				
4	                      oil		           bathtubs		   oven				
5	                      food lvl 2		   spicery		           alcohol	<	from here on you need at least 2 islands
6	                      steel		           passenger		   post				
7	                      marmor	   	   jewelry		           knowledge				
8	                      diamonds		   food lvl 3

Return to “General OpenTTD”