Finding holdout tiles

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Finding holdout tiles

Post by Baldy's Boss »

As you can see from the saves,my "modern" games are nearly 100% electric.Are there any mapping tools to highlight the last few non-electric rail tiles so they can be converted or removed?
I have no vehicles that can run on conventional rails.
Attachments
Bundton&MalbourneR.R.Co.,1stOct2006.sav
(3.83 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
MalbergMauveR.R.Co.,1stJun 2019.sav
(3.96 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Sylf
President
President

Re: Finding holdout tiles

Post by Sylf »

It's probably easiest to do a blanket conversion of the entire map's rail type than trying to find any holes.
  • Zoom out all the way
  • Go to the top corner of the map
  • Start the rail conversion
  • Use the down arrow key on the keyboard while the conversion is still going on, so the screen scrolls
  • Press the shift key while the above 2 steps are in progress, so the screen scrolls faster
  • When all tiles are highlighted, let go of the shift key before you let go of other keys/mouse buttons. If you have shift key down when you let go of the mouse button, it'll give you cost estimate of the conversion instead of doing the conversion itself.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Good idea, but you can do it simpler.

Go to one corner of the map, open an extra viewport at it.
Go to the opposite corner of the map.
Select upgrade, and start a drag in the view port, and drag onto the corner in the main view.

Let go of the button, with shift if you want to know an estimate, without shift if you're feeling lucky.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The map's not square,but electrifying the whole map would also disable the pioneer maglev projects.Malberg Mauve got one in 2010,with the short-train-only Consortium Maglev design,and has now converted existing lines at Prupool (served since 1932) and Gestown(also site of the Consortium project).It's now ready to convert busy lines like Lindton,where a lot of equipment is due for replacement anyway.

The Bundton game has just set up its Consortium proof-of-concept run (Trains 202-206).

I guess those few unelectrified tiles will stay in hiding.
Attachments
Bundton&MalbourneR.R.Co.,1stDec2010.sav
(3.83 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
MalbergMauveR.R.Co.,1stJan2022.sav
(3.98 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Run a 'pilot' train through any newly electrified sections just to make sure there are no problems before unleashing a full electric service.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

If you have monorail or maglev tracks, you can either
  • Use the same trick to convert any large area, just avoid the maglev area, or
  • Convert the entire map to electric, and convert the needed area back to maglev

Return to “General OpenTTD”