What are your OTTD quirks?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: What are your OTTD quirks?

Post by GarryG »

They separate files.

Hot Air Balloon can be found here http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net/index.php

Not remember where I found the Zeppelins .. hope the person who made it doesn't mind me putting a copy here. Wherever I got it from came with no reference to the maker.
Attachments
zeppelins.grf
Zeppelins
(5.81 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

Zeppelins (and Sky Lift for cargo) can be found in the 'av8' GRF.
they are considered helicopters so they can operate from heliports as well as airports.
Cheshire Cat ^..^
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cheshire Cat ^..^ »

Sorry, last post on this OT subject:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=73975
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Cheshire Cat ^..^ wrote:I'm an extreme environmentalist.

I try to encourage people hiking and walking in the game. I assume that passenger transport I build is mainly for elderly and disabled people. Therefore to move the most people possible is a very low priority for me.

I avoid as many trees as I can when building. If I build on a square with tree, I remember how many trees were there (and which type, of course), and plant at least as many trees as close as possible possibly considering environmental effect of moving these trees (not planting them in the middle of a big batch of other type trees, for example).

I build as less as possible to conserve production of material resources in that world. People are patient, they can wait for the few-times-a-year train which will take them very very far. (Meaning I don't build two tracks if I can avoid it)

Trains are more fuel effecient than vehicles even in short distances and small cargo.

I prioritize subsidies because I pretend the only reason a city offers a subsidy for passengers is because it has a sudden disabled or elderly population spike which really really needs to get to the other town that year to get medical and/or psychological help.

Second priority is boats because even regular people will not cross that lake swimming (shame the game doesn't have sail powered boats...). Also boats need minimum amount of infrastructure compared to road travel or train travel.

And when I can afford it because of the extreme maintenance costs, air travel. Also because of reduced infrastructure needed to be built. (shame the game doesn't have blimps...)

The biggest stumbling block for me so far is earning cash despite the low station ratings and maintenance costs. But the single train tracks going through forests is so beautiful!

Oh, and I also love love the toy setting.
836ca6f8-558b-4dd7-9cc0-06e912a7c1c9.png
There are NewGRFs with sailing ships for early periods.
I try hard not to disrupt farm fields more than I have to,but like high-capacity passenger routes and straight & level tracks.

You expect people to hike distances that take 150 mph trains months to cover?
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

Alberth wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:Now,if we had customer AIs who could arrange a straight-route service with a competitor...
Many people don't bother with AIs at all. The best competitor is often yourself.
Even with competent human players, the competing part of openTTD (and from the game it derivated from) is somewhat weak. At most you can improve the station rating to get a bigger cut of cargo from a industry or town, there is no way to compete by cutting prices and such. Otherwise competitors mostly provide obstacles for you the player to build around. :P This is a part of the game I would love to see improved on, but I admit it would be hard... I'm not even sure what the best way to go about it, especially since it might disrupt the gameplay for people who prefer the sandboxy way of doing things or deviate a bit too much from Transport Tycoon.

Though I'm aware there is gamescripts that lets players compete by either finishing objectives, or being the best at it (town growth gamescripts).
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Am I the only one who goes to ridiculous lengths to try and work with the land and not terraform everything? I sometimes end up with a long winding rail path around awkward sets of hills instead of just tunneling or terraforming a diagonal or straight path through it? Sometimes its to the point where the train can take forever to actually do the alternative route too.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Nope. I did this in my latest game.

Note the very flat route through the valley to the left of it - I'll be building a Reading-Taunton style cut-off next...
Attachments
bendymainline.png
bendymainline.png (200.36 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Glad it isn't just me suffering a tad bit of OCD when playing OpenTTD then. Also woo, Morley, just next door to me.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
CRITAWAKETS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CRITAWAKETS »

I usually make a infrastructure with a factory so i can easily get cash and the rest is exploiting distances and trams. When the Yate Haugan comes,a craft that is great at speed and size but ludicrously expensive i build airports.

My economy normally is... Deranged? 1960=Bankrupt 2002=100 Million

I also like when having a insane wealth that reaches 1 Billion to make an island from a lake.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

CRITAWAKETS wrote:I usually make a infrastructure with a factory so i can easily get cash and the rest is exploiting distances and trams. When the Yate Haugan comes,a craft that is great at speed and size but ludicrously expensive i build airports.

My economy normally is... Deranged? 1960=Bankrupt 2002=100 Million

I also like when having a insane wealth that reaches 1 Billion to make an island from a lake.
How can you recover from actually being "Bankrupt"?
I have seen large sums of money vanish when costs got too big,so have not done much in the way of vanity projects...I do dream of ringing my HQ city with statues of company owner,though...
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

1. Build my HQ on tallest mountain.
2. Cheat by starting with $20 million
3. Rail lines to remain level until absolutely necessary. Minimise terrain changes.
4. have complete coverage of all parts of every town with buses and trams.
5. At least 5 stations per town as soon as possible.
6. Train links to every town, airport in larger towns.
and, importantly,
7. Try to stop playing before dinner time, and before wife throws my portion into the garbage.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

My never-replace-an-engine-except-with-an-upgrade quirk is a powerful factor in my inhibition in playing past 1/1/2051.
When Chimeras grow old there's nothing to upgrade to unless I load a Vactrain NewGRF and that won't take me much further.
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

I'm greatly enjoying this thread. I love getting new perspectives from other players.
Lukenwolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lukenwolf »

I have several quirks :

I always play with Number of cities on VERY LOW for less clutter on the map and they are always 3x3 grid layout to cater for my OCD. :tongue: One by one I give them a 4x4 grid of 3x3 building spaces and "arrest" the city by building a ring of rails tracks around it (city not allowed to build level crossings.)

The second quirk is that I always start and build my HQ in the smallest town, so it's not unusual to find a town of 86 peeps who enjoy their brand spanking new tram service :mrgreen: I then keep a yearly list about how much I've grown it. That list is created using an analog recording device with a graphite core on dead trees.

Last but not least, I try to connect all industries and try to build as neat a network as possible and usually end up with a messy one :oops:
Beer is not the answer. It's the question, and the answer is YES.
stravagante
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stravagante »

My OTTD quirk is that I'm persistently trying to move around Google maps with the right mouse button. :shock:
glbotu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by glbotu »

I guess I try not to play quite in a profit-making way. There are lots of ways to beat the game, but usually, you just end up with a reasonably dull looking transport network (or a woefully unrealistic one). I try and use realistic design principles when building, for example, while I appreciate that the throughput of a massive flying junction is better, sometimes it's worth just building a flat junction and upgrading it later if need be, because that's what would happen in real life.

I also try and start in 1850 (or earlier), using something like eGRVTS, FISH and one of the many excellent early train newGRFs (UKRS2+, 2cc Trains) to allow that. I generally load up a couple of station newGRFs to make my stations look nicer too (and give myself options). I also make an effort to have old fashioned stations when I start and then build modern stations later.

I find I get quite good realism, namely because I get a lot of tight junctions where I have to squeeze into an expanded city. Also, yeah, the freight network gets left by the wayside somewhere between 1950 and 1970, only really trying to maintain existing, profitable trains (which is also realistic, from a UK perspective anyway). Furthermore as some cities start to really get going, you find you have to link up new services which have to use the limited existing infrastructure. I also only terraform to improve the service (ie: turning a 2 track ML into a 4 track ML, or adding additional platforms), which is also reasonably realistic. When you have a choice of where your train goes, you go for the cheaper option, not the one where you bulldoze a mountain.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

glbotu wrote:I guess I try not to play quite in a profit-making way. There are lots of ways to beat the game, but usually, you just end up with a reasonably dull looking transport network (or a woefully unrealistic one). I try and use realistic design principles when building, for example, while I appreciate that the throughput of a massive flying junction is better, sometimes it's worth just building a flat junction and upgrading it later if need be, because that's what would happen in real life.

I also try and start in 1850 (or earlier), using something like eGRVTS, FISH and one of the many excellent early train newGRFs (UKRS2+, 2cc Trains) to allow that. I generally load up a couple of station newGRFs to make my stations look nicer too (and give myself options). I also make an effort to have old fashioned stations when I start and then build modern stations later.

I find I get quite good realism, namely because I get a lot of tight junctions where I have to squeeze into an expanded city. Also, yeah, the freight network gets left by the wayside somewhere between 1950 and 1970, only really trying to maintain existing, profitable trains (which is also realistic, from a UK perspective anyway). Furthermore as some cities start to really get going, you find you have to link up new services which have to use the limited existing infrastructure. I also only terraform to improve the service (ie: turning a 2 track ML into a 4 track ML, or adding additional platforms), which is also reasonably realistic. When you have a choice of where your train goes, you go for the cheaper option, not the one where you bulldoze a mountain.
I don't like disrupting cityscapes either.What station NewGRFs add rather than replace the existing options?...I've considered adding there.
So far I've only started one game before 1850 but am trying to extend my range from my usual 1930s starts.
Dave

Post by Dave »

glbotu wrote:I guess I try not to play quite in a profit-making way. There are lots of ways to beat the game, but usually, you just end up with a reasonably dull looking transport network (or a woefully unrealistic one). I try and use realistic design principles when building, for example, while I appreciate that the throughput of a massive flying junction is better, sometimes it's worth just building a flat junction and upgrading it later if need be, because that's what would happen in real life.

Welcome! You'll fit right in with some of the best UK players.
What station NewGRFs add rather than replace the existing options?
None of the Station NewGRFs remove the original stations.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Xaxa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xaxa »

Oh I have so many quirks...

- Build classification yards but never actually fill them up with trains because that takes time
- Pretend days are minutes, so 90% of my railroad lines are served every 15 days/minutes or 30 days/minutes, the other 10% is every 20 days/minutes.
- Edit/replace/remove railroad lines multiple times before even bringing them into service, mostly to better fit connecting trains/decrease (the amount of) transfer(s) (times)
- I've seen a few folks already trying to minimize terraforming, I on the other hand terraform a lot so I use as little (rail)roads as possible. I also use a lot of tunnels in metropolitan areas so that building can be built on top of my tunnels.
- Build airports without actually planning on ever using airplanes - even though I have NewGRFs installed with pretty planes. I just use airports as transportation hubs with the highest possible reach.
- Build entire tram/bus networks on empty fields around the metropolitans to anticipate their growth. Have buses and trams stop at middle of nowhere stations for years until the cities finally reach the stops
- Only use articulated buses even though they're slow and often have to travel long-distances. This is because you can easily spread them out because they occupy a whole single bus stop. I actually have a separate coaches NewGRF installed but sadly even though they fill up the whole bus stop, they allow two buses into the stop because their hit box is too small (therefore allowing other buses to merge into them).

I can go on for a while, probably.
Attachments
J-Ways, 4 Feb 2015.png
At metropolitans I often just go berserk with the amount of stations.
(553.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
J-Ways, 4 Feb 2015#2.png
Massive terraforming and replacing railroads before a single train has actually run over them. All of it just to optimize travel times.
(465.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
J-Ways, 4 Feb 2015#1.png
Empty bus and tram stops to anticipate the metropolitan growth.
(504.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
simonthk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by simonthk »

I play with 2-3 friends.
We play with A LOT of rules :) mostly economic ones. No planes, no oilrigs, no passenger ships, since these are too heavy incomes.

I want it to be very challenging, like extreme rough terrain.
My 1 friend wants more cities to expand, so not so much rough terrain...

I was thinking... what if we made a rule, that you cannot change the environtment. The map should not be as harsh, but you cant make changes in the environment. Could make a map look pretty cool later on.

Also I think this game shines as multiplayer, with A LOT of rules. We tend to fight on the economy, so getting behind makes you try and think more clever to get back on route. Never get to far behind though ;)
Everything cost A LOT, maintenance etc, and the trains do not like any kind of slopes.

Still working on a perfect set of multiplayer rules, but we are getting there :) Ofcourse the game can be played very differently, but I allways wanted to put together some super fun multiplayer rules.

Return to “General OpenTTD”