Classic terminus vs Ro-Ro

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Tycek
Engineer
Engineer

Classic terminus vs Ro-Ro

Post by Tycek »

Hello, I have been playing OTTD for quite a while, but most of the time I have been building classic terminus stations at the end of the train lines.
Are there situations when the Ro-Ro terminus stations are better than the classic terminus stations? Or do you guys have your own "rules" when to build Ro-Ro or terminus?
Fersboo
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Classic terminus vs Ro-Ro

Post by Fersboo »

I personally don't care for Ro-Ros and only use them when multiple feeders are transferring cargo and there is too much traffic for a terminus.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Ro-Ro can have better flowing traffic in my experience, although I personally avoid them and use classic termini, I find ro-ros look a bit odd.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

All FIRS secondary industries and primary industry hubs are RO-RO. Also have separate station or isolated platforms for in/out.
Mainline PAX/mail stations are maglev Ro-Ro, it seems to work better with time tables.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

i use Roros for industries only, never for pax, as they take a lot of space. it's not realistic for my playstyle to use huge roros in a town ^^
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I don't know how to name it, but I prefer terminus with separate entry and exit platforms and depot as terminal:
Terminal 2 + 2
Terminal 2 + 2
MCterminus22.jpg (112.34 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
Trains have no-loading orders for entry platforms, therefore empty trains are going to depot, where can be safely stored if exit platforms are occupied.
It is especially practical for passenger trains, if cargodist is enabled and breakdowns are not disabled (empty train is servicing - no load value loss due to latency).

In case of limited space, I'm using n-1 exit platforms, to make sure that entering full trains have free tracks:
Terminal 2 + 1
Terminal 2 + 1
MCterminus21.jpg (151.3 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
Even for goods trains, I prefer to make such pattern but without entry platform (it give opportunity to expand station and add entry platform, if some cargo needs to be delivered).
Terminal 0 + 1
Terminal 0 + 1
MCterminus10.jpg (105.56 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Ben1338
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ben1338 »

Normally I'd choose terminal yard stations when there is room for a dual track system, this is because I have one train waiting to load with a load while another train is delivering the load to the industry, which creates a very unused junction.

I have found that Ro-Ro stations save space in areas which have tightly packed industries.

Normally when we build dual tracked railways they require absolutely colossal junctions as demonstrated here http://www.transporttycoon.net/junctions

Normally these kind of junctions are high capacity but they also consume a HUGE amount of space because of the opposing direction of travel, but because there would normally be loads of industries which would be tightly packed together, junctions like this are rendered unusable.

So I came up with a new-york-style track layout where there's a bunch of one-way tracks leading between the industries where trains travel down on one track and exit through another.

A regular terminal requires both the entrance and exit paths to be at the same end of the terminal while a Ro-Ro doesn't, therefore, Ro-Ro is king of the new-york style OTTD network because of how compact the junctions are compared to the traditional method.

Return to “General OpenTTD”