railway gate (or something similar)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

gauron
Engineer
Engineer

railway gate (or something similar)

Post by gauron »

Hi, i got a little problem with my growing city and railways.
Roads started to appear across my railways and i already had 6 accidents with my busses.
IS there any short of ingame railway gate (railroad gate not sure whats the proper word for it) Or any mod what add them ingame? I dont want to build huge bridges around my town just to avoid accidents.

Also if there is only a mod for it is there any way to add a new mod to an existing save?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: railway gate (or something similar)

Post by FooBar »

There's a setting to forbid towns to build level crossings. You can change that setting in an existing game.

But you don't need to build bridges everywhere. Only on the roads that your road vehicles use.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

There actually is a gate built into the game... not visually, but by function.

To get vehicles to stop at your level crossings as trains travel past, place a path-based signal (PBS) before your crossing. I'd make it at least 4 tiles in each direction away from the crossing to give vehicles time to clear the intersection. The faster your trains, the more distance you'll need. Once you have placed a PBS, when the train enters the block between the PBS signals it will signal for road vehicle traffic to stop.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

kamnet wrote:There actually is a gate built into the game... not visually, but by function.

To get vehicles to stop at your level crossings as trains travel past, place a path-based signal (PBS) before your crossing. I'd make it at least 4 tiles in each direction away from the crossing to give vehicles time to clear the intersection. The faster your trains, the more distance you'll need. Once you have placed a PBS, when the train enters the block between the PBS signals it will signal for road vehicle traffic to stop.
Wow, I never knew this - really useful advice! I was always avoiding level crossings, even to the length of using tunnels.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Another tip: You can build two one-way roads on top of each other in opposite directions to create a roadblock. This can be used to prevent vehicles from crossing certain roads, but the road is still visually there and able to be used by the towns to grow along. Keep in mind it doesn't affect trams.
gauron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gauron »

kamnet wrote:There actually is a gate built into the game... not visually, but by function.

Could you elaborate that please?
Im still new in this game technically this is my first save and im not sure which signals i need here .(or how to use them properly)
I looked around the game and i expected to find some sort of traffic lights or basic gates what closes when a train enters their sensor range but i didnt find any.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Here's an animated GIF showing you where the train signals are located in the game, and which one to select, and how to place them, and the effect they have on traffic.
Attachments
pbs.gif
pbs.gif (1.21 MiB) Viewed 4642 times
gauron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gauron »

kamnet wrote:Here's an animated GIF showing you where the train signals are located in the game, and which one to select, and how to place them, and the effect they have on traffic.
Thanks!
This will make my days lot easier!

Edit I noticed that in the gif you posted it illuminates the used rails, is there a setting or a grf what makes that effect?
And one more thing how can i get those small lamps on the road where the crossing is in? That could make my roads look better.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

gauron wrote:I noticed that in the gif you posted it illuminates the used rails, is there a setting or a grf what makes that effect?
This is the default behavior when you use a path-based signal. It will illuminate the rail between the next set of signals to show you the path it has reserved. It should be enabled by default. If not, if you look in the game settings under Interface -> Viewports, you should see a setting of "Show path reservation for tracks."[/quote]
gauron wrote:And one more thing how can i get those small lamps on the road where the crossing is in? That could make my roads look better.
I am using the default OpenGFX graphics for rails and roads, this should show up automatically in any climate and any year. If you're using another track set or road set, though, it may not have included them.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

Wow - I've always turned level crossings off because of teh crashes, I assumed the road-traffic lights were eye-candy - Id didn't realise you need to 'trigger' them.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If you don't space the signals far enough out, it's possible that fast moving trains will clobber vehicles that were still in the middle of crossing, or broke down over the crossing.

Also, this doesn't activate all lights across tracks laid next to each other. Each one is independent of the other. There is a patch that addresses this (not perfectly), but it's not yet (and may not ever be) part of the core game, in those instances it's better to use a bridge or tunnel rather than have a level crossing over multiple tracks.
gauron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gauron »

kamnet wrote:If you don't space the signals far enough out, it's possible that fast moving trains will clobber vehicles that were still in the middle of crossing, or broke down over the crossing.

Also, this doesn't activate all lights across tracks laid next to each other. Each one is independent of the other. There is a patch that addresses this (not perfectly), but it's not yet (and may not ever be) part of the core game, in those instances it's better to use a bridge or tunnel rather than have a level crossing over multiple tracks.
Thank you :bow: .
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

ccomley wrote:Wow - I've always turned level crossings off because of teh crashes, I assumed the road-traffic lights were eye-candy - Id didn't realise you need to 'trigger' them.
You don't /need/ to do anything for them to trigger, just the standard distance of one tile is a bit short for faster trains.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.

Return to “General OpenTTD”