Switches,signals,improving service at 6 platform station

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Switches,signals,improving service at 6 platform station

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The number of waiting passengers crashed with the passenger station rating,which is now recovering...but what do I need to do to increase throughput at Fort Nanwell Woods?
Move depots or switches or signals?
Add tracks?
Extend electrification past the station to the destinations and replace the trains?
(Note that mail and valuables service remains Excellent,passenger service went from Very Good with 3,000 waiting to Very Poor and has now trended up).
Attachments
Bundton&MalbourneR.R.Co.,1stJul1973.sav
(3.86 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
Bundton & Malbourne R.R. Co., 1st Jul 1973.png
(2.43 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Switches,signals,improving service at 6 platform station

Post by Transportman »

I think it would help a lot if you do not merge everything together, but split the station in 2, one part for the NE trains and one part for the SW trains. If left like this, you should place your signals as close to the junction in front of the station as possible (also on the out track on the station side), to keep the junction occupied as short as possible.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I've added "back door" tracks for some trains from Dreebridge and to Sentminster.Not sure how much use they'll be.
Vehicle breakdowns seem seriously frequent,but is it time for more reliable engines when nothing's close to red age?
Attachments
Bundton & Malbourne R.R. Co., 2nd Sep 1973.png
(2.62 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Bundton&MalbourneR.R.Co.,2ndSep1973.sav
(3.87 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Baldy's Boss wrote:I've added "back door" tracks for some trains from Dreebridge and to Sentminster.Not sure how much use they'll be.
Currently they will not be of much use, as to Dreebridge and from Sentminister have to cross twice (the part between your "back door" tracks), although they do not have to share their in and out tracks any more. But I would still go with a separate in and out track for both directions.
Vehicle breakdowns seem seriously frequent,but is it time for more reliable engines when nothing's close to red age?
I always play without breakdowns, as I find that part of the game very flawed.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Vehicle breakdowns seem seriously frequent,but is it time for more reliable engines when nothing's close to red age?
You can always try and not keep the game if the outcome is not to your liking. I find reliability below 85% is unplayable - just my opinion.
adf88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by adf88 »

Transportman wrote:split the station in 2, one part for the NE trains and one part for the SW trains.
Or more generally - reserve some platforms to some trains e.g. connect 2 platforms to first line, 2 to second line and 2 to both lines:
platforms.png
platforms.png (28.51 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
If the traffic is heavy enough you can make more collision-less intersections:

See Ro-Ro Terminus station concepts on wiki.
:] don't worry, be happy and checkout my patches
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Doesn't that go against the whole idea that networks are better than point to point?...if there's an open platform at the station,a train from either destination should be able to use it.

At the present time this station has fallen back into the pack of biggest-backlogged.
Attachments
Bundton&MalbourneR.R.Co.,1stFeb1974.sav
(3.86 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Baldy's Boss wrote:if there's an open platform at the station,a train from either destination should be able to use it.
not if that means blocking off another train that could use the same platform more efficiently, and then has to go to another inefficient platform, which then blocks off the next train, and...

vicious cycles are vicious.

sometimes, less is more.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Basically, the assumption is that you always have enough in-flow at each side to reserve a few platforms specifically for one side only. On top of that, either side can have a bit more in-flow at times. You handle that by platforms which are shared between both sides.

The killer is that moving to the far end of the station blocks everything, ie it is like you have no free platforms (for other incoming trains) and no way out (for outgoing trains) for some period.
With sufficient traffic, it's better to wait a while for a free platform but leave all other platforms operational.

You can have trains from any direction using any platform, but in that case, you have to build junctions way ahead of the station, to spread the load to 2 or more lines. Each such line then leads to some of the platforms.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

Baldy's Boss wrote:The number of waiting passengers crashed with the passenger station rating,which is now recovering...but what do I need to do to increase throughput at Fort Nanwell Woods?
Move depots or switches or signals?
Add tracks?
Extend electrification past the station to the destinations and replace the trains?
(Note that mail and valuables service remains Excellent,passenger service went from Very Good with 3,000 waiting to Very Poor and has now trended up).
I assume you have passenger trains waiting to enter, and it's not just taht you need more trains to service the queue.

OK, first I'd split the station - treat the first three platforms as only for the track from top left and the bottom three platforms only for bottom left track. That way you will never have a top-left train waiting to cross the path of a bottom-left.

Second, that mesh entry means any train can use any platform but they all cross each other to do so, causing delays. You'll notice it even more when you have more and faster trains.

Have a look at the post I just made entitled "Souped up bay stations". See how I set it up so that some of the platforms have an exit option over a bridge so an arriving train which would cross a leaving train (so have to wait) can now pass under it!
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Through plenty of earth-moving,I have now added an additional way in for trains from Sentminster (all new track is electric though no full routes,and thus no trains,are yet electric).
Thus,the only trains that MUST use a mixed track are ones to Dreebridge,not from Dreebridge or to or from Sentminster.

I have other issues elsewhere,now set to replace train 12 and have to deal with Group 0.

Anything else leap out at you?
Attachments
Bundton&MalbourneR.R.Co.,1stJan1975.sav
(3.86 MiB) Downloaded 18 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”