Mod questions related to NARS and the years < 19xx

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Lexx
Engineer
Engineer

Mod questions related to NARS and the years < 19xx

Post by Lexx »

Hey folks,

got a few questions, hope this board is the right one for that. :>

I am currently using the North American Renewal Set (release 2.51) and out of lol I decided to start in the year 18 something, which only allows me steam engines. Now I found out that I actually like this quite a lot- there is but one problem: All the houses and other scenery graphics obviously aren't suited for this time period.

Question is: Are there any graphic mods available that offer different visuals for this time period and later change it accordingly to a more modern set?

Also same for road vehicles- are there any mods that give me cars or horse carts or similar in these early years? As much as I like the trains, I feel like road vehicles are totally missing out and I don't really want to wait out 50 or something years. :>

Oh, and while I am at it... I've read about the parameters to NARS but I have no way to set them? The only option I get under set parameters is to reduce the vehicle costs and nothing else.

Thanks in advance.

/Edit: I am actually trying to get an american / canadian-ish setting of the early 1900 or a tad before. That means, arctic climate, fitting town names and rail + road vehicles. I am currently also using the Industrial Station Renewal mod, which is also awesome, awesome, awesome.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Mod questions related to NARS and the years < 19xx

Post by Baldy's Boss »

This might be better suited to the board that covers NewGRFs.

The eGRVTs NewGRF gives you early road vehicles back to I think 1700.
The attached 1800s savegame uses it and NARS among other NewGRFs.I don't find the houses out of whack but the powerplants are obviously anachronistic.
Attachments
GreenVictoryRailroad,1stJan1877.sav
(523.32 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Lexx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lexx »

Ah yeah, the power plants are a big no-no as well. I *think* I've read somewhere about a graphic mod for that as well, but couldn't find it again yet.

/edit: Another thing would be boats. Any mods for steam ships or such?
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Apart from eGRVTS (which is a must for early years), you could also try the Polroad and Poltrams sets. Although the vehicles are from Europe, there are a few carts available from the 1860's.
Other sets come to mind: Road Hog (still in development), HEQS (but only freight trams in the 19th century).

About the parameters you mention, they are for NARS version 2.03, which has even more rolling stock, different liveries, running sounds, regearing for diesel locomotives. It also has some drawbacks (no autorefit, a lot of restrictions). If you want to fiddle with parameters and have more vehicles than you can ever build, then NARS 2.03 is for you.
NARS 2.5+ was designed to be a bit simpler (less useless rolling stock) and more gameplay-oriented.

Concerning buildings, the Japan Building Set has old wooden houses as well as modern skyscrapers, but they may look a bit inappropriate in an american-based game. The Gold Rush mod, still in development would be perfect for you, as it precisely concerns the period you're interested in. But you'll have to be patient, as it's not released yet.

Steam Ship are available as early as 1860 in the SQUID mod, but you can also play with Sailing Ships (as early as 1700 if I'm not mistaken).

All these NewGRFs (except Gold Rush) are available via the ingame download platform.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

And I'll shamelessly plug my own efforts. 2CC|Trams introduces real-world steam trams and compressed air trams in 1872. I've been testing this set with my own pre-1900 scenario and it has really kicked up the fun and profitability factor.

It's older brother, 2CC Trains, offers puny steam locomotives starting in 1835, and is also based on real-world locomotives.

UK Railway Set (aka UKRS2) offers its first steam locomotives in 1830, and offers cost compatibility with NARS.

Iron Horse starts out with steam locomotives in 1860, and is inspired by British and some American locomotives.
Lexx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lexx »

Thanks for the hints. Iron Horse looks quite tempting. As far as I can see, Gold Rush seems to be still far off of a release.

While I am at it... Saw screenshots of the North American City Set every once in a while, but for the life of god I can't find a download link. Is it somewhere available under a different name or did it vanish from the face of the earth? Really curious, as I seem to be unable to get it anywhere.
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

Lexx wrote:Thanks for the hints. Iron Horse looks quite tempting. As far as I can see, Gold Rush seems to be still far off of a release.

While I am at it... Saw screenshots of the North American City Set every once in a while, but for the life of god I can't find a download link. Is it somewhere available under a different name or did it vanish from the face of the earth? Really curious, as I seem to be unable to get it anywhere.

Anything that was made by OzTrains is no longer accessible for download, though looking around on the internet may net you something.

It is a long and messy story.
Something goes here, hell if I know.
Lexx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lexx »

Damn, that sucks. The building are kinda awesome looking on the screenshots I've seen.

/edit: Thanks to new intel, I've now been able to track down the file(s). :>

Return to “General OpenTTD”