Aim - max train income

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Aim - max train income

Post by ccomley »

The game I'm playing at the moment my aim was to build a line with maximum income per train.

I'm pleased to say I've a bunch of trains running on the line at nearly 9 mill per year, which is the best I've managed to date. I have them running goods fully loaded in both directions (the station at each end of the run both accepts goods, and has factory or refinery to make goods. Most of the "feeder" trains are also running at 1-3 mil per year so the average is still good.

This is my first game with this as intent so I'm chuffed (!) so far.

What other "aims" do people play towards? Clearly "most trains running on the line" is a popular one with line design to minimise or remove delays caused by joining etc.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Aim - max train income

Post by FooBar »

My aim usually is to connect all towns so that people from anywhere can go everywhere. Doesn't need to be a straight line or direct connection.
I also like to transport cargo from all primary resources, generally for each type to one or two places on the map. So I don't necessarily use all secondary industries. From the secondary industries that I use I then transport what is produced as well.

Usually my map is 256x512 in size with about 40% water so that I must use ships.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

FooBar wrote:My aim usually is to connect all towns so that people from anywhere can go everywhere. Doesn't need to be a straight line or direct connection.
I also like to transport cargo from all primary resources, generally for each type to one or two places on the map. So I don't necessarily use all secondary industries. From the secondary industries that I use I then transport what is produced as well.

Usually my map is 256x512 in size with about 40% water so that I must use ships.
That was me in an earlier life. :) I found that if the map size gets much larger however you can link all your lines together but you still can't route all the (say) wood trains to a single sawmill without things getting too jammed up. So I ended up making separate lines around each aera of the map serving separate sawmills, factories, etc.

Ships -d espite using a more relalistic ship GRF I find they're almost never profitable, so I only use them for bringing oil ashore and serving passengers to the rigs.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

ccomley wrote:Ships - despite using a more relalistic ship GRF I find they're almost never profitable, so I only use them for bringing oil ashore and serving passengers to the rigs.
You may want to look into using the refit-in-station (a.k.a. autorefit) feature to let your ships carry cargo on all legs of their journey - say, if playing FIRS, carry fish to the harbor, refitting to food to carry to a town, then refit to passengers to carry back to the fishing grounds. This enables much more profitable journeys when using ships, as they never sail empty.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

That would certainly help.
Monarch1st
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Monarch1st »

ccomley wrote:What other "aims" do people play towards? Clearly "most trains running on the line" is a popular one with line design to minimise or remove delays caused by joining etc.
I've been trying to get the most thruput, the most trains thru a station.
Not too bad this time. I'm servicing a town that has a pop of 120 or 130k, and i'm getting about 150 maglev trains running thru it. The station is 24 bays wide, and fed by 4 tracks running each way.
I think next time I'm going for 8 tracks each way and see how many trains I can stuff thru a station.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

Monarch1st wrote:
ccomley wrote:What other "aims" do people play towards? Clearly "most trains running on the line" is a popular one with line design to minimise or remove delays caused by joining etc.
I've been trying to get the most thruput, the most trains thru a station.
Not too bad this time. I'm servicing a town that has a pop of 120 or 130k, and i'm getting about 150 maglev trains running thru it. The station is 24 bays wide, and fed by 4 tracks running each way.
I think next time I'm going for 8 tracks each way and see how many trains I can stuff thru a station.
BTDT! :-)

One trick I found is to separate the platforms - so platforms 1-4 service the line to Town A, plats 5-6 Town B, and so on, and you arrange it so the exits and entrances for each line don't cross each other (or cross using bridges/tunnels, not junctions, IYSWIM). That reduces the number of trains per *line* to a more manageable level but stlll has them all churning through the station in impressive fashion. Not entirely unrealistic either. Our local station is carefully arranged so the platforms serving the "stopping" trains are at one side and those trains don't cross the "express" tracks.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I often try to distribute industrial cargo to all industries, as in, with cargo-dist, every cargo can flow from any producing industry to any accepting industry.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “General OpenTTD”