Railway Problem

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ianjazz
Engineer
Engineer

Railway Problem

Post by ianjazz »

I'm trying to make a railway, but this one junction doesn't work and i don't know whats wrong or how to fix it. Can someone help? And should i have posted this in OpenTTD problems instead?
Global Trans, 19th Jan 1941.png
(897.46 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
They all get stuck and won't move.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Railway Problem

Post by Eddi »

of course they all get stuck, they try to find the path of least resistance, and that is the one that doesn't have a reverse signal. but that one is exactly the one your train is standing on.

for junction building, follow these simple rules:
  • never put signals inside of the junction. if a train waiting on a signal would block a switch, remove that signal.
  • balance the pathfinder penalties for reverse signals, by having a reverse signal on none or all of the tracks
  • if possible, make at least one track have a direction by placing one-way signals, otherwise you will end up with all sides being blocked by trains, and no exits being free
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Not sure of the nature of the problem,but I've spotted backup issues on the Greningley-Grendingham route,shared by two groups,passenger trains "Gren-Gren Express" and mail trains "Gren-Mail".There's a track in each direction,and an overflow platform at each station,but the eastbound track is jamming.Any ideas?
Attachments
Buborough&PenbourneR.R.Co.,1stJan2027.sav
(4.16 MiB) Downloaded 97 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

not sure why you'd highjack some innocent person's thread for this, but anyway...

you have two problems at this spot:
  1. the depot is a bottleneck. trains wait too long for the previous train to exit the depot. you should have double depots on either side of the track, so one train can enter the second depot while another train can exit the first depot.
  2. the signal distance before the depot is too short. a train waiting for the depot to free up not only blocks its own space, but the whole tunnel behind it as well.
Attachments
Buborough & Penbourne R.R. Co., 21. Jan 2027.png
(239.26 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

Take all the signals out of the main mesh of the junction. Put "Path" signals on the entrances, and block or path signals only at the eventual exits. Each train arriving at an entrance will select a path through the junction. A second train arriving at the same time can pick a second route through, if a second route exists that doesn't cross the first, else it waits for the first train. But trains should never stop on the mesh or pick a route which leads only half way across the mesh.

In mine, trains are right-running so arrive on the bottom right three tracks, and leave on the top right two; you can see one-way-path signals on thee three incoming lines then no signals until the station.
Attachments
station-mesh.PNG
station-mesh.PNG (309.01 KiB) Viewed 172 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”