Any rule about username hijacking?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

viator
Engineer
Engineer

Any rule about username hijacking?

Post by viator »

When I log in the OTTD-site it replies: The specified username is currently inactive.
If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.

Stupidly of course I cannot find this "board administrator" and I cannot contact anyone else from the outside,
I see no ruling here about (mis)use or hijacking of the username and what to do if ...
So I make a new registration in OTTD and I try this general entrance to make contact...

My username "viator" is blocked after many years.
I have this username since ages and something like this has never happenned to me.
I do not know why either.

Can you help me to get my identity back !

viator
Fanatic OTTD player.

( At this moment logged in as viator2 )
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Any rule about username hijacking?

Post by planetmaker »

Do you talk about these forums here (tt-forums.net) or the OpenTTD site (www/wiki/bugs.openttd.org)? They have different user databases.
viator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by viator »

When I initially log in it is mostly in http://www.openttd.org/en/ or http://bananas.openttd.org/en/

When I just look around (everyday lurking) it is in places that start with //www.tt-forums.net/.... and sometimes I log in there too.

Both ways it always was non problematic.

Hope that is an answer to your question.
viator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by viator »

To your information I add a remarkable coincidence:

The viator account is connected to viator@inbox.com.

When I try to log in at inbox.com to see my games-mail, it says:

Your account does not exist anymore. We are sorry, but your account has been canceled due to inactivity.
However, your email address may still be available if you setup a new account.

When I try to setup a new account it says:

We're sorry, new registrations will not be available for an extended period of time.
Inbox.com webmail is currently being prepared for a major system upgrade and therefore all new registrations have been stopped.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

So if you can restore my username viator back to me then I will have to connect it to a new mail-address (i.e. the same that is now connected to viator2).
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, these forums don't have a user named viator, that name is free to use. I haven't a clue what your bottom post is referring to but inbox.com is definitely not related to these forums.

The OpenTTD user accounts should be handled via the below site:
http://www.openttd.org/en/contact

If unsure, send an email to the general information and they will either be able to help you or direct you to the right source.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Chrill wrote:Well, these forums don't have a user named viator, that name is free to use. I haven't a clue what your bottom post is referring to but inbox.com is definitely not related to these forums.

The OpenTTD user accounts should be handled via the below site:
http://www.openttd.org/en/contact

If unsure, send an email to the general information and they will either be able to help you or direct you to the right source.
Well, generally yes, though in this case: no need. I'm reading this thread here ;)

However OpenTTD services do not have a registered user 'viator' either. And I'm not sure how the issues with a $random e-mail service relate to OpenTTD or these forums at all.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, to activate his account:
viator2 wrote:When I log in the OTTD-site it replies: The specified username is currently inactive.
If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.
He needs to click on the activation link on his email acc. Which seems to be inactive, so he probably can't. I don't know why he registered himself to an inactive email account, but that seems to be the problem here, no? ^^;

So a technical solution would be changing the email to something working and resending the activation mail. Or deleting the account so he can re-register with a proper mail. Or somesuch.

€: although I can't explain why the acc doesn't seem to exist ... ;)
viator
Engineer
Engineer

My accout really existed for years.

Post by viator »

Yes, Inbox is in no way related to OTTD.

I had an Inbox address allready many years ago in times of Civ2, Civ3 and other games.
After my discovery of OTTD I also used this address to receive mail from OTTD.
In that way viator@inbox.com is connected to my-viator account.

Yes, I had an account called viator (Latin: traveler)

I tend to keep record of things.
The oldest mail I can find now from forums@tt-forums.net to viator@inbox.com is dated 30-11-2011 about some reaction on Chill's patchpack v14.
I can send you a copy.
The last mail I I can find now from forums@tt-forums.net to viator@inbox.com is dated 7-4-2014 about Zbase that I use.
I can send you a copy.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Ok, so we are talking about tt-forums then and not OpenTTD? Anyhow, how can we help you if you do not have access to the e-mail you registered the account with?
viator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by viator »

Technically I think the solution might be to change the name of my "viator2"-account in "viator".
That viator2-account has another mail-adress connected at another server so I can even receive an activation link.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=73109 is the topic you search then. It might also give you a hint who is referred to as the 'board administrator' ;)
viator
Engineer
Engineer

Namechange Requested.

Post by viator »

Done.

Details see http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 8#p1153568 Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:55 pm.
viator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by viator »

:D :D :D

Thank YOU very much for the fast action !!!

:] As far as i can see my account works fine as it worked all those years before.

:bow: THANK YOU :bow:

Keep up the good work ! Cheers !!!

Best Greetings,
viator

PS
Maybe you also wondered why all this happened? If in due course you can give some clarification, I like to learn.
If you need any more information about the strange coincedences or so, please do let me know.
Ik do really hope it is NOT an indication of some sort of threat to this fine en friendely OTTD-site.
I guess you know better than me, so I thank you once more and return to playing beautifull OTTD on a brand new 4k screen (3840x2160) which gives a real big view of OTTD but also raises a lot of questions how to make the most of it.
See you at the forum !.
Last edited by viator on 07 Aug 2015 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General OpenTTD”