Density of Tracks

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Density of Tracks

Post by Buragan »

Hey.

Now I hope someone will agree with me when I say I really hate seeing more than two lanes of tracks (e.g. one route heading north, one heading south) in an area. It seems to be common in OTTD for people to cram insane amounts of trackage and roads into areas. Someone people have like.. Eight or more platforms at a factory or similar industry, whereas I get annoyed when I move beyond two. Now, I know having a large amount of lines is necessary to keep up with the production of goods, but does anyone know how to make their networks look authentic and not just a giant cluster f***?

Same applies to those spaghetti junctions ^^

Yours,
Buragan

(Maybe I make sense, maybe I don't) :P
Sylf
President
President

Re: Density of Tracks

Post by Sylf »

Sure, it's easy. Forcus on the aesthetics of your network, and ignore the demand imposed by the over-producing industries. And to prevent one factory from producing too much, don't connect all farms on one map to one food processing plant (for example) - spread the cargo to more processing plants available on the map. Focus more on building short distance transports - that will alleviate the need to build huge complex jucnctions.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

I usually try to limit it to 4 tracks (2 in both directions), and most of the times it is just 2 tracks, but with some dedicated tracks for cargo going outside of the cities. Only my stations blow up, as I have usually different lines stop at large cities, so I need those big stations to be able to process all trains coming in and out.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Sometimes there are really busy passenger networks.I'd rather see them served than have most of a town waiting on its platforms.

Just how to make more than two tracks work most efficiently (sorting trains by speed or whatever) is something I still need to learn.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Speaking of wide stations:

Union Station in LA has 16 tracks split on 8 platforms.
Grand Central Terminal in New York City is the world's largest station by number of platforms, having 67 tracks on two levels.
Stockholm Central Station has 17 tracks.

It's not unrealistic to build large stations, even though they can sometimes end up being far larger than towns.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buragan »

Ah, I guess part of my problem is that the scale of OpenTTD is a little off (I.e. the size of a city is basically a town IRL).
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Buragan wrote:Ah, I guess part of my problem is that the scale of OpenTTD is a little off (I.e. the size of a city is basically a town IRL).
A "little off" is an understatement imho, the program is foremost designed as a game for trains, where elements have a "size that works". There is however no consistency in sizes between different elements (other than consistently being hopelessly wrong :) ).
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Actually it would be fixed, if you would play the game in real time. If one train gets loaded at a factory per day, it would, in most cases be sufficient. But a day really is nothing in OpenTTD.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

In case you've missed it there is a Screenshots subforum, where the majority are of attempts to create somewhat realistic worlds.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buragan »

Yay, screenshots >.>

I've been in that deep dark area of the forum before and sometimes feel overwhelmed but I'll give it a shot. I've gotten over my scale problem by simply using a 1k by 2k map with only 80 towns with multiple industries and a low (or maybe it was very low) density. Makes things tricky since I'm using FIRS and sometimes it costs about 300k to build a dual railway to get one industry set up properly, but I think I've got the hang of it finally.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

I'd agree with your outlook, Buragan, were ruling out the terrain of a given board possible. Hilly and flat boards are rewarding ... e.g., hilliness, when you become super pleased at how you'll have accomplished squeezing builds into a landscape thatcha needn't batter away at.

For weeks now, I've errrr sometimes daydreamed about this very thread.

I downloaded a scenario with comparatively few towns and a vast, empty flat landscape. Presented with such a board, I chose to build 4-tracking right from the outset, and I'm still very pleased with my choice. Augmenting network capacity can become tiresome, what with relaying many rights of way: now barely necessary this board around!

Extra tracking (especially at, e.g., station/platform exits, overly-long signal blocks, ROW merges, etc.) can be SUCH a saviour. Fussing over timetabling would be my foremost reason why..any day.

Maybe unsightliness of massive webs of catenary be what put you off.. ..
Attachments
tlt ctnry 14th Jun 2121.png
(939.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tlt wrlss 14th Jun 2121.png
(897.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tlt 3-way 6-trk 28th May 2117.png
SIx-tracking a tight, 3-pronged junction merely experimental here.
(604.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

The next 4 screenshots reveal the network around my company town.
Attachments
view1of4 28th May 2117.png
(1.78 MiB) Not downloaded yet
view2of4 28th May 2117.png
(2.09 MiB) Not downloaded yet
view3of4 28th May 2117.png
(1.79 MiB) Not downloaded yet
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Still the same board..cannot remember whether I bore a reason to hiding/revealing catenary..last 1 here just another sample of a junction elsewhere around my board.
Attachments
view4of4 28th May 2117.png
(1.83 MiB) Not downloaded yet
tlt 4-prng 28th May 2117.png
(552.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

One way to keep number of rails down, is to use longer and heavier trains that carry same amount of stuff as 2-3 smaller trains. :)
Sabret00th
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sabret00th »

Well, if you can afford it, you can put some of the tracks underground, in tunnels. It will free a bit of a space....
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I generally stick to no more than 4 tracks, usually in the order of FAST SOUTH - SLOW SOUTH - SLOW NORTH - FAST NORTH, or WEST/EAST as appropriate
Basically four lines, the outer two are used mainly by passengers, the inner two used by slower things or any other cargo.
For maps where I am transporting only passengers, for long distances I again use four tracks. The outer two being for slow traffic (stops at all stations) and the inner two act as through tracks at stations.

Generally speaking, I only have more than 4 tracks together at larger stations, which have extra platforms acting as terminus/starting for some trains and the tracks will align with the old ones for a while until they go their seperate ways.

I have tried to make really big lines and really big stations, but the signalling goes boobs up when i try it, so I stick to what a I know 2 or 4 tracks.
Last edited by Redirect Left on 10 Sep 2015 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Mhm, "realistic" track density in OpenTTD is difficult, but some things to consider:
- daylength patches, one that doesn't adjust production. Trains can make more trips per month then
- some town sets come with lower densities than others
- buses, trams, ships, planes can help reduce what needs to be transported on tracks

I usually get away with two tracks this way, some extra at station perhaps. Not in the sense that it's the most efficient network ever, but one where trains can get everywhere without huge delays and goods don't stockpile too badly.

Return to “General OpenTTD”