Sides of the tracks

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Sides of the tracks

Post by Baldy's Boss »

We know the stereotype of "the wrong side of the tracks"...a less desirable neighborhood divided by railroad tracks from a more desirable one.
I'm not sure to what extent OpenTTD algorithms create income/density-based zoning (and I've thought such features should be enhanced),but I have to share some screenshots on what seems to have emerged for the time being.
When I noticed that there was a productive coal mine outside Buborough that could be linked to the same power station as the Buborough mine (which is at upper right) the resulting freight line was definitely "out of town".
But as the city has boomed,high-density building has spread up to one side of the tracks while lower density development is found on the other.I expect continued growth will end this pattern but right now the town has a definite character.

As for the third screenshot...I don't understand why neither of the trains facing each other couldn't just take the crossover...how is the crossover by Sadingtown Mines station any different from that by Buborough station?
Attachments
Buborough & Penbourne R.R. Co., 1st Mar 1957.png
In days of yore...
(3.65 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
Buborough & Penbourne R.R. Co., 1st Jan 2000.png
Suburbs to one side,city center on the other
(3.86 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
Buborough & Penbourne R.R. Co., 1st May 2000.png
What's the hold-up?
(3.48 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
Dave

Re: Sides of the tracks

Post by Dave »

You're still using two way signals. Use path signals instead.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

For terminus stations handled with Path signals (the train entering seems to be stopped in front of a path signal), you don't need any signals between the junction and the platforms. Those are only needed with block signals.
(You may want to stop all trains before removing them, and after removal, start the one in the station first.)

Also, at the exit, leave space between the junction and the exit signal. If a train stops before the exit signal, it won't block the station junction in that case.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Past the crossover there are only one-way path signals.The block signals near the platform were added in an unsuccessful attempt to solve the already-existing problem(the only effect was that the loaded train left the station and stopped at the block signal).
I got things moving by removing some tracks and signals until I had trains where I wanted them,but don't know if the problem will recur.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I'm not sure what the original problem could have been. If you remove those block signals that junction will flow perfectly. Never use block signals on a dead end, path signals can control them perfectly adequately.

Your B&P game has numerous situations where jams are happening because there are block signals on dead ends.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

If you're talking about the size of the house on two sides of the coal line, then that's purely the case of the distance from the center of the town. As the town grows bigger, that side of the tracks will also get sky scrapers.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

See attached picture for the "suburb" effect, Baldy's Boss. Within the circle, most houses are higher and modern. Outside the circle, not just on the one side of those rails, you see smaller housing.
Attachments
distance_from_center.png
(4.01 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the size of this circle depends on the number of houses in the town (not the total population)
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

...and don't cheat with opponents like that ;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Eddi wrote:the size of this circle depends on the number of houses in the town (not the total population)
Does it depend on the number of road tiles from the city center (the sign) or does it expand as the crow flies?
My Scenarios:
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

this is one of the rare cases where the euclidean distance ("as the crow flies") is used in the game. (most other things use the manhattan or maximum distance instead)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Chrill wrote:See attached picture for the "suburb" effect, Baldy's Boss. Within the circle, most houses are higher and modern. Outside the circle, not just on the one side of those rails, you see smaller housing.
The south end of the circle has almost no housing while large buildings continue to the east and west of it.

And I prefer to "Phreeze out" competitive threats when noticed.;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Baldy's Boss wrote:
Chrill wrote:See attached picture for the "suburb" effect, Baldy's Boss. Within the circle, most houses are higher and modern. Outside the circle, not just on the one side of those rails, you see smaller housing.
The south end of the circle has almost no housing while large buildings continue to the east and west of it.
That would be the lack of roads :P Build roads there, wait a few years, and then see what happens.
My Scenarios:
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Roads are getting built there...which are in the way of any possible expansion of the airport.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

For that matter,transportation hubs should stimulate growth related to them(warehouses near goods delivery,hotels near passenger terminals,etc).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the game is just not wired that way...
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Eddi wrote:the game is just not wired that way...
There are ways it could benefit from rewiring.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Baldy's Boss wrote:
Eddi wrote:the game is just not wired that way...
There are ways it could benefit from rewiring.
By all means, go ahead.
My Scenarios:

Return to “General OpenTTD”