Airline merger quandary

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Airline merger quandary

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The opportunity is probably past since I saved and exited without taking the option,but...at the point attached the B&P was offered the chance to buy a NiceCAB whose whole operation was four airplanes and 2 airports.

Years ago I bought an 8-airport operation that I've pared down to the only route that was making money and modernized...on the whole the aviation arm turns a profit or I'd have dumped it already.
One of the two airports the NiceCAB has is a more modern,higher-capacity alternative to one of the two I have,in the city of Garnwell (not sure why the long-ago AI sited an airport there,but the route DOES make money).
The bankruptcy sale offered the company for next to nothing and does NOT (unlike a market buy) involve assuming the 4 million in debt.But could I come out ahead buying the company,demolishing my Garnwell airport and the AI's other airport,and redirecting all traffic to the new Garnwell airport and my other airport?
(There must be a shortcut to changing orders for a whole group...what is it?)
Also,the recent failure of an AI that had multiple large unused stations in my headquarters city of Buborough left a lot of vacant flat land at the city's edge.Would putting an airport there make sense?
Attachments
Buborough&PenbourneR.R.Co.,1stSep1995.sav
(3.98 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Sylf
President
President

Re: Airline merger quandary

Post by Sylf »

Baldy's Boss wrote:could I come out ahead buying the company,demolishing my Garnwell airport and the AI's other airport,and redirecting all traffic to the new Garnwell airport and my other airport?
That's easy to find the answer yourself.
1. Take a note of the maintenance cost at the point of paused game.
2. Go ahead and buy the company, and ignore the loss from assuming their debt for now.
3. Check the difference in maintenance cost before and after the merger.
4. Run the game for about a year and find how much their route brings in.
If the total profit the new route, minus the infrastructure maintenance cost, comes out ahead, then it was worth a purchase.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Well,I looked at the situation broadly.
My current aviation operation flies passengers (and one plane gets stray mail) between Pronfingley (a town of about 2000) and Garnwell (about 1500).
There is a prime airport site right outside Buborough(a city of 23000) and if I fly up beyond Pronfingley there's a site that doesn't need much work to put one by Wruningpool(10,000).
I might as well just relocate and add to my fleet...but what IS the shortcut for changing orders for a whole group?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there is no shortcut for changing group orders. you need to make orders shared (with ctrl+click), then any subsequent change will affect all vehicles that shared orders this way.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Eddi wrote:there is no shortcut for changing group orders. you need to make orders shared (with ctrl+click), then any subsequent change will affect all vehicles that shared orders this way.
Wound up manually deleting the orders and putting in orders for the new airports.
Fortunately cloning retains group membership and orders.
Aircraft revenue collapsed in 1996 but I expect it will surge back in 1997.
Attachments
Buborough&PenbourneR.R.Co.,1stJan1997.sav
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 15 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”