Rail: T Junction - for critique

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Fersboo
Engineer
Engineer

Rail: T Junction - for critique

Post by Fersboo »

I'm playing around with trying to make a better looking and more realistic T Junction. I don't really like the junctions with too many elevation changes, so I'm trying something else out and wanted to know if anyone can give me any suggestions. The first picture is with the bridge and the second is the same except the bridge is hidden. I just started using Path signals so I'm sure I've not utilized them correctly here.

Thanks.

***Edit***

Northbound is to the right (closest to station)
Southbound is to the left
Attachments
ALM Transport, Feb 7th, 1953.png
(231.17 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
ALM Transport, Feb 8th, 1953.png
(227.96 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Rail: T Junction - for critique

Post by Transportman »

The crossing under the bridge is a bit of a problem. I would try to remove that, so that incoming and outgoing trains do not have to cross each other more often than needed. I think the easiest way to do that, is by switching the in/out side of the station, and then redo the tracks for the northbound direction.

If you keep the crossing, you might want to remove the signals directly after the crossing, and change the signals in front of it by path signals. Then multiple trains can occupy a block, so trains will only cross the crossing if the path to the next signal is clear, instead of being stopped by the signal directly after the crossing.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Rollerghost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rollerghost »

This is how I would do it.
Attachments
my way.png
my way.png (279.62 KiB) Viewed 159 times
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Rollerghost wrote:This is how I would do it.
That squiggle going under the bridge will slow everything to a crawl just as it comes off the mainline.

My take on it (without the depots/station):
Punttown Transport, 22nd Jan 1942.png
Punttown Transport, 22nd Jan 1942.png (52.97 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

More alternatives, improvements from Rollerghost version :)
station.png
station.png (189.31 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
  • Moved the signal after the station junction to avoid trains from blocking the station junction
  • Extended the entry and exit lanes of the nearest main line to avoid trains blocking other traffic
  • Tunneling to the other side (although bridge would work too) as there is more room for the turn
Perhaps it's a bit too much though for a 3 platform station (not enough traffic to worry about).
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Thooom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thooom »

I was gonna post too, but Alberth posted pretty much what I would have done. Reason is that he had the main lines without any ups or downs (hills / bridges) and no crossovers towards the station. :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”