Scenario - What do players want to see?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Scenario - What do players want to see?

Post by Buragan »

Hey.

I am currently attempting to create a heavily GRF'd scenario which will probably be released here. However, before I get into too much detail whilst creating, I'd like to ask what the players like to see.

Buragan
SpeedQber
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Scenario - What do players want to see?

Post by SpeedQber »

Do you have some examples? I have no idea what you are asking :P
Do you ask for terrain types (e.g. hilly, with rivers ending in seas), or maybe for competition (save a drowning company from ruthless competitors). Or are you asking whether people want cargo or passengers (connecting small towns vs big cities)?
Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buragan »

Everything!

Cargo preferences, distances between industries, industry locations, town locations and sizes, pre-built infrastructure (roads/tunnels/bridges), environment types, distribution of water and rivers, map sizes, the variation in terrain, obstacles, etc.

Buragan
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

What I would like to see is a scenario and a game script working together.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

I would like to see one based on the real world. There are lots of those, but most of them are in my opinion not good enough.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

As somebody who has created a few scenarios I can definitely say that OpenTTD, in its current state, has many shortcomings that simply won't allow for as much realism and quality of detail as I would like.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Problem with scenarios I always have is that I don't like playing unpatched OpenTTD, but patched OpenTTD always significantly reduces the target audience, especially if it's a custom package ;)
Gankenstein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gankenstein »

Some or all of this:

Bits of the real world or alternatively, imaginary landscape which could credilby be somewhere.

Rivers, lakes and seas - enough of it that it makes sense using water transport.

Topographical obstacles like mountains and hills.

Challenges posed by the locations of industries and towns. Viz. the images in the Montana scenario thread.

Nice coherent collections of vehicles, e.g. a scenario featuring all of andythenoth's vehicle sets (I don't think he made a plane set , I'd want planes too).

Oh, and add some eyecandy sets - I am still learning the game and it would be nice to learn some of the nifty stations, houses, depots, and shinies.
Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buragan »

I'm a big fan of water based transport, so the scenario will definitely include rivers large enough for some ships, or possibly just some large islands with a sea flowing between the edges of the map and them. I'd be using the FISH ships GRF with the AV8 aircraft GRF - two of my favourites.

My aim, if I have the time over the summer, will be to create either a 2k by 2k or a 4k by 4k map which will incorporate features which would be plausible: small towns along rivers, valleys, industrial areas, eye candy dotted around, etc, while keeping some challenges.

Now, on the point of GRFs, does anyone know how to get the Maritime Collection GRFs onto an Android Device? They aren't available using the ingame 'Online Content' search. I can get them on PC by simply pasting the GRF files into the correct folder after downloading from the site (I'll paste at the bottom for reference), however after searching through the files of my android device (a tablet), I cannot find where the game installs GRFs to. I even tried creating a crappy little scenario using only the Maritime Collection GRFs to see if I could force OpenTTD to search for them... But that failed. Some help would be appreciated!

I intend on using my tablet for the positioning of towns, industries and eyecandy, since my PC will be too laggy for anything more than the terrain :D

Buragan

http://ttdpatch.de/download.html
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 6#p1148646 apparently some path at the sd, ask for more details in that thread if this doesn't mean anything to you
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buragan »

I'll try following those instructions tonight.

On a note related to the original topic of this threat: What size of maps do you guys prefer?
TitchFender
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TitchFender »

Personally, I'd like to see a 1024*1024 map, Temperate, with most of what was described above for challenge.
For NewGRF's, I'd like to see an Industry addon one. BUT, before starting, there could be a little tutorial in regards to helping learn the new industries and their supply chain; aswell as the tutorial at the beginning, there could be tips, and help through out.
I'm a fan of the Train network, so some GRF's relevant to the industry addon for trains would be cool.

Hope this sparks up some idea's.

Return to “General OpenTTD”