Any interest in collaborative Open TTD gaming?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sentinel618
Engineer
Engineer

Any interest in collaborative Open TTD gaming?

Post by sentinel618 »

I apologise if there's a topic on this subject already but a quick look through the forum didn't turn anything up.

I'm just looking to gauge interest in a relaxed Open TTD MP game with rules and a set goal/ mods and other such things being decided prior to play.

In the past I have logged into games in session to find little to no opportunity to get a foothold or little to no player activity. Other games have seen players immediately resort to underhanded tactics and scupper my fledgling business within days (game-time) of starting out.

I'm getting on a bit (35 in a few days) and I'd just like to play some games with a little friendly rivalry but without the belief that Open TTD is akin to some some sort of Command & Conquer type warfare driven game!

There's a relatively well-known gaming community/ channel/ network/ thing which I won't publically name, who have played and recorded for YouTube and i'd possibly like to do similar.

Is this a terrible idea? Feel free to verbally abuse me for having it, otherwise i can be found on a random Open TTD server somewhere sabotaging the competitiion and generally getting to grips with the new changes since I last played some many moons ago.

Answers on a post card please! Well maybe not a post card, maybe here. Yes, here is probably better.
ve_od
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Any interest in collaborative Open TTD gaming?

Post by ve_od »

I can relate to your trouble as I am searching for something similiar. From my experience, either the openttdcoop (welcome) server or the reddit #2 (maybe #1) probably come somewhat close to what you are looking for.

However I can imagine there being a small group that meets at more or less fixed times, maybe gets together in voice chat and just plays ttd until the map is totally full and then move on to a new map with different rules/newGRF's. That would be something I would be interested in for example, that is not easily found (if something like that exists at all).
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Inscius wrote:Not gonna take you up on your offer as I'm currently a bit burnt out on the game.
However, I feel I should point out that the kind of behaviour that you are describing is against the OpenTTD Multiplayer Rules (https://wiki.openttd.org/Multiplayer_Rules), if someone else is sabotaging your company, don't retaliate, you should try to contact the owner and/or staff instead. Though that can be a bit tricky, if not downright impossible, on a lot of servers.
While many servers have similar rules, that wiki page is completely unofficial - its implications to the contrary regardless. There are no 'official' servers and all the third-party servers set their own rules, in some cases directly contradictory to the ones linked.

Re. the original question, the Reddit servers prohibit griefing and certain forms of competition while being quite well moderated and active.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
sentinel618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sentinel618 »

ve_od wrote:I can relate to your trouble as I am searching for something similiar. From my experience, either the openttdcoop (welcome) server or the reddit #2 (maybe #1) probably come somewhat close to what you are looking for.

However I can imagine there being a small group that meets at more or less fixed times, maybe gets together in voice chat and just plays ttd until the map is totally full and then move on to a new map with different rules/newGRF's. That would be something I would be interested in for example, that is not easily found (if something like that exists at all).
FLHerne wrote:the Reddit servers prohibit griefing and certain forms of competition while being quite well moderated and active.
Thanks guys,

I've never really taken to Reddit but i'll try there and see what's ocurring.
ve_od
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ve_od »

@Inscius: Since that now makes two, I wonder how many people would be interested in this.

For this purpose I have created a small Google Form site where people can coordinate a little and sign up to join a group. I know it is simplistic, but I hope it will suffice for now. You can find the sign-up form here: http://goo.gl/forms/zDDSjaZWWd

I would also be grateful, if someone could post this link to the /r/openttd reddit for me.
bencze
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bencze »

This could be cool sometimes, but I find that I cannot play openttd for too long, I build some stuff then save and exit and come back to it a day or three later, build few more stations, etc. :)
I sometimes check the openttdcoop welcome server and play a little there. At least it's not fixed times, and a game usually goes on for a few days so there's time to develop a network.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'd be interested in some grown up non/semi competitive servers, where I can play and not have some little waster destroy what I've done.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
TitchFender
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TitchFender »

this im interested in :D
SpeedQber
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SpeedQber »

I'm actually more interested in coop games, where we build a company/network together. Also, I'm not available until september :P
TitchFender
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TitchFender »

any news on this... signed up about 2 weeks ago, not heard anything...
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

I'll cook the books.

:twisted:

Return to “General OpenTTD”