Port Designs

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Port Designs

Post by Buragan »

Hey all.

Recently I have developed an infatuation with trying to create a port which actually looks good. Currently I have the ISR, CHIPS, DWE Objects and station industrial tiles GRFs installed. However I am struggling to design a port which has an aesthetic appeal.

If anyone could provide their own examples of small, medium and large designs (I have already looked on google images), as well as a step by step design to them (if possible), I'd be really grateful!

Yours,
Buragan
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Port Designs

Post by Alberth »

Did you try the screenshots forum? lots of pictures there :)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewforum.php?f=47

Edit: eg post http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 7#p1150767
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buragan »

Urgh, why didn't I think of that?! The go-to answer on the forum seems to be 'look through the forum' yet I forgot! Thanks! I'll still appreciate any custom designs that people have >_>
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

you seems to use only "stations" tiles, those are somewhat harder to use because you have to respect "the slopes" limitation.

So to avoid that Go on Bananas and download: ISR/DWE Newobjects

Then look for Michael Blunck Website, he has created Marico New objects

You can also take Supercheeses natural Object (SNO), there is some animated birds (awesome for fishing port)

So those as you can see are not "station" tiles, they are somewhat more easy to place where you want.

Note : with ISR/DWE object, many object are randomized (re-build them on same tile more than once until you get te one you want)

Once you have all that, you should be able to create your own custom port.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Being lazy, I dug some out of my older screenshots:

Medium, Marico/CHIPS/FIRS
Tiny, CHIPS
Medium, ISR/ISR-objects
Large, CHIPS/FIRS
Beach-objects, NewStations

Generally I just start with a rail station and/or industry, build hardstanding around it, quays/piers, then sometimes a breakwater.
Building rails onto the piers like this can look good, although that example itself is quite poor.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Buragan wrote:If anyone could provide their own examples of small, medium and large designs

Yours,
Buragan

Now if You look thru the 45 pages of screenshots You could find some very good designs :mrgreen:
Buragan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buragan »

I'm grabbing the MariCo GRF as we speak and already had the ISR/DWE one active (just forgot the names of all of them.) I should also add that I am playing on Android. Might have to shift some piles around and hire Mr Potter to magic the GRFs into the right folders, but I'm on the way. Thanks! Keep posting your own ones and I'll keep looking through the screenshots thread :P

Return to “General OpenTTD”