Catchment areas

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

bvoice360
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Catchment areas

Post by bvoice360 »

I have noticed that the catchment areas highlighted when building a station do not accurately display the actual catchment areas-for example, a station with a supposed area of 4 tiles appears to be delivering to and picking up from an industry tile that is 6 tiles away. Did they adjust the areas but not the highligher or something?
cmhbob
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Catchment areas

Post by cmhbob »

Did you expand the catchment area by joining a station?
--
Bob
The wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...
Me, elsewhere
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

When a single station has different classes (road station, rail station, sea port, airport), the catchment area may not be what's highlighted while you're building the station.
https://wiki.openttd.org/Catchment_area
For a combined station, the radius of each of its component physical stations is promoted to the radius of the most extensive component.
bvoice360
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by bvoice360 »

Oh, so the catchment area is a box between the two furthest apart stations-so if I placed 2 stations 64 tiles apart and belonging to the same station, the catchment area would be a 70x70 box?
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Sort of.

For cargo acceptance, that's mostly true. It may not be 70x70, depending on the realistic catchment size setting, and if that's enabled, what type of stations are part of it. If you have an intercontinental airport as a part of the station, the catchment area will be bigger.

For picking up cargo from near by industries, those industries' tiles must be within the catchment area of the station tiles. Catchment area size modifier from airport, seaport etc still applies, I think. From what I've seen, this patch gets this part wrong. But it maybe me who's wrong here.
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

From what I have observed with the original industries and FIRS, not all industry tiles are not created equal.

Water based industries appear to have invisible tiles around them.
Oil rigs have an extra tile on south side, and fishing grounds seem to have a 7x7 zone around them. I was able to reach it from shore with a truck stop.
The dredging site delivers from both the buoy and the dredger, but will only accept supplies at the dredger .

And some of the land based industries appear to have tiles that are only decorative.
the sawmill requires one of the buildings or the pile of lumber to be in the catchment area. the log piles on the north/east side don't count.

Return to “General OpenTTD”