World Generation

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Kev
Engineer
Engineer

World Generation

Post by Kev »

Recently the nightly version world generation system has been modified, i have attached 2 screenshots that show world generation with a custom sea level of 30% in v1.5.0 and r27262

In 1.5.0 this setting would create a series of lakes/seas over the entire map but r27262 just creates masses of water with no lakes.

Is it still possible to generate maps in the nightly vesion that creates a series of lakes/seas?
Attachments
Map 1.5.png
(45.81 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Map r27262.png
(38.33 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: World Generation

Post by Alberth »

The sea level only controls how many tiles are water, it doesn't control the shape.
To get more smaller areas of water, you need more 'small' low areas, which you generally get by increasing the variety distribution.

(Variety distribution controls how 'fast' land height changes. 'Slow' changes means big large water areas, 'Fast' changes means many small areas.)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

some values in the map generation may need tweaking since the introduction of more heightlevels has made things more complicated.
also, see discussion over here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=63595
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I have yet to generate a world in 1.5.
I did generate one Mountainous world in 1.4.4 (having specialized in Hilly) in case those levels now have new definitions.
Am I correct that Alpinist is new in 1,5?
hpfx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hpfx »

Hi,
I must say, I could not find a way to get map generation that I loved in the past,
if someone can help.
what I want : old-school (very) flat land map, almost no sea or lake.
why : because I play trains, no boats.

Setting I tried :
terrain Type : very flat
sea level : custom 1%
variety distribution : Medium
Smoothness : smooth

Map I got : way too much water.
Alberth wrote:The sea level only controls how many tiles are water
Well, I asked for 1%, but I got almost half of tiles.
Alberth wrote:Which you generally get by increasing the variety distribution.
I can't increase more than Medium, higer value does not reduce water tiles, and it make square patern everywhere.

any idea ?
There should be a way to get such a map...
Thank you.
Last edited by hpfx on 09 May 2015 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Set variety distribution to none and try again. That setting is more useful (at least to me) with more hilly/mountainous/alpinist map. With no variety distribution, I only see a few ponds, and not a large bay that occupy a quarter of the map, along with normal amount of ponds.
Attachments
With variety distribution low, sea level 3%
With variety distribution low, sea level 3%
withVD.png (6.27 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
With variety distribution none, sea level 3%
With variety distribution none, sea level 3%
withoutVD.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
bvoice360
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by bvoice360 »

Perhaps it would be best to wait for the next official release and see if they've worked the issues out before asking about issues in what is effectively the alpha of the next version, as nightlies are not the most bug-free of versions. The devs probably already knew about this, and i think that they will have fixed it in time for the next stable release
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

bvoice360 wrote:Perhaps it would be best to wait for the next official release and see if they've worked the issues out before asking about issues in what is effectively the alpha of the next version, as nightlies are not the most bug-free of versions. The devs probably already knew about this, and i think that they will have fixed it in time for the next stable release
Nightlies are pretty much as stable as stable itself, it's just that most server owners and players don't want to download a new version every day, so there is a stable version that exists for something like a year, and gets fixes backported.

The only thing we really know about is the open bugs in the issue tracker bugs.openttd.org . If it's not there, there is a big chance we don't know.
However, it never hurts to ask confirmation first at the forum before reporting, so we don't have to triage bug reports that are not really bugs.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
bvoice360
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by bvoice360 »

I'm too used to experimental Minecraft versions...

Return to “General OpenTTD”