Trains only??

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Participle
Engineer
Engineer

Trains only??

Post by Participle »

Has anyone tried to use only trains? Seems like a fun challenge.
Sylf
President
President

Re: Trains only??

Post by Sylf »

Participle wrote:Has anyone tried to use only trains? Seems like a fun challenge.
Yes. OpenTTD Coop is notorious running games that are either heavily focused on trains or 100% on trains. Then again, Coop doesn't care about profit or the in-game score at all. They care more about building a huge train network on a relatively small (small in today's standard when largest possible map is 4000x4000 without a patch) map. Seeing 4000 trains within the confines of 250x1000 tiles is really something.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I generally only BUILD trains,though I can acquire AIs that diversify.My Old Plonville Green R.R. was pure trains.
Participle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Participle »

Nice, I imagined there had to be some out there somewhere. I think that'll be my next personal challenge. This just gave me an idea for an additional feature that would activate a train in a depot when there is a full load of cargo at the station. That would make this much more economically viable. Maybe that's already possible, I am always surprised at the odd little things hidden in the game.
Dave

Post by Dave »

With the original settings, the game is very much skewed toward trains (although changing the plane speed setting makes planes blow the rest away).
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Participle wrote:an additional feature that would activate a train in a depot when there is a full load of cargo at the station.
no, but that is probably counterproductive anyway, as the station rating drops when there is no train waiting, and thus you get less cargo to transport.

you could try making a timetable, but you probably need to adjust that every time the industry doubles/halves production. a primary industry produces one load every 256 ticks, which is about 3.5 days. so you could e.g. plan a train every 21 days, that carries 6 production loads. (houses do this as well, but there are usually so many houses around that produce at different time offsets that it just merges into one continuous flow)
Last edited by Eddi on 29 Apr 2015 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
bear1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bear1 »

I've shifted to creating a large train network supplied by inner city bus supply routes. Occasionally using airports to deal with surplus passengers that the train stations can't cope with. O, and I guess boats for the oil rigs. So not 100% trains, but that's where all the profit is generated.
Plord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Plord »

if i am not mistaken Nuts train set has some trains with the ability to travel by water you could use them for Oil Rigs

or use the opengfx + airports with the brand new sea airport.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

I'll usually go for the opposite approach: I don't build trains. And no planes either :)

There's a lot of interesting things you can do just with ships and road vehicles. Trains and planes crash, and need baby-sitting. Ships and RVs on the other hand are very autonomous. You can specify their route, and they'll go merrily on their way until it's time to replace them.

I use to start in 1701, just when the first sailing ship, the Brig, is available. Then I build an empire with those small sailing ships and some horse carts. It's quite the challenge.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Plord wrote:if i am not mistaken Nuts train set has some trains with the ability to travel by water you could use them for Oil Rigs

or use the opengfx + airports with the brand new sea airport.
NUTS' "Wetrails" are railroad tracks that look like rivers, and trains that look like ships. Actual OpenTTD ships can't use them and the Wetrail trains can't go out on the OpenTTD water or access ship ports. OpenGFX+ Airport's seaplane port is a land airport that looks like it has water. All aircraft can land on it and there's no code that stipulates only certain aircraft class can land on it.
Plord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Plord »

oh what a shame with the wetrails, i thought they could be constructed on water, and function like a canal on water,

the sea airport is still a very neat approach to not use ships and wouldnt look as strange as rising the earth.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

kamnet wrote:Wetrail trains can't go out on the OpenTTD water
original TT had a bug where trains could go onto diagonal shore pieces :)

anyway, you can place canals on water and then put a rail between the canals to make it look like the trains run on water. you can also build a station near an oil rig to get its cargo, it doesn't have to go through the builtin station.

Return to “General OpenTTD”