Merging single track branch into double mainline?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Merging single track branch into double mainline?

Post by Wahazar »

There is some interesting design examples of junctions with priority, but mostly of them assume merging two one-way lanes.
I have following problem: double track mainline with single track branch line, mainline should have priority in both direction (including going from mainline to branch line).
It is plain one-level junction (freight trains from branch line are heavy and not going frequently).

Unfortunately, attempt with using presignals fails, because train on mainline (going up on the pict) must wait, even if train from the other direction (from left to down on the pict) is going safely trough junction, or if freight train just already passed from:

How to solve such problem safely (without these aesthetically looking "track logic")?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Merging single track branch into double mainline?

Post by Alberth »

Use path signals everywhere?

As for priority, I'd make the branch earlier, and use a tunnel or bridge to avoid blocking the main line
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Geneo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Geneo »

Just eliminate the little NW to SE section of track between the double track and then use a crossover piece between the double tracks and stations.

(Course it would help to have the single track run into the upper double track.)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

In this particular case, using multilevel crossing is of course possible, but sometimes it is problematic due to space limitation or heavy trains (I'm using 4x multiplier and 7% grade).

Finally I used PBS instead of combo and additional unused track to trigger block signal:

BTW, I wonder if all those exit/entry/combo signals are still useful or rather obsolete?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Never ever put signals on single tracks that trains can go both directions on. Unless in very specific situations and even then only 2 way path signals.
Ivir Baggins
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ivir Baggins »

Emperor Jake wrote:Never ever put signals on single tracks that trains can go both directions on. Unless in very specific situations and even then only 2 way path signals.
Even when there's just one train on that line?
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Ivir Baggins wrote:
Emperor Jake wrote:Never ever put signals on single tracks that trains can go both directions on. Unless in very specific situations and even then only 2 way path signals.
Even when there's just one train on that line?
Even then I would place 2 way path signals, just to prevent deadlocks. It can always happen that a train suddenly takes that track because other tracks are occupied and that track also goes to where the train wants to be (or because it wants servicing on a depot along that line).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML

Return to “General OpenTTD”