Tooltips and Go To orders for fishing ships

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Vedo41
Engineer
Engineer

Tooltips and Go To orders for fishing ships

Post by Vedo41 »

Hi,

I'm an absolute beginner in this game and I've been following Damage's Let's Play Open TTD modded LP published on YouTube in March last year and have been paralleling his game exactly. He's using the Hard Pack 0.8.165 version and I'm using Open TDD 1.5.0, which I guess is the reason for my problems, but I'm using exactly the same GRF's as him. I'm just getting into the game and I've already come across a couple of annoying things that I can't figure out how to fix. The first is the tooltips. In Damage's Let's Play when he rests his mouse pointer on, say, fishing grounds or a building, up pops some useful info in the form of a tooltip, e.g. the number of tons of fish currently available in those fishing grounds or info about the building. But when I play, my mouse pointer shows jack all and I have to click on everything to get any info, and that info is presented in a dialog box which I then have to close with the mouse or keyboard. The only tooltips I get are all to do with menus and dialog box interface elements. It looks like Damage can hover his mouse pointer on almost any in-game building or graphics element and get a tooltip about that thing. The other annoyance is that when Damage clicks on the show the ship's order's button, it pops up the selected ship's orders dialog box with the Go To button already depressed and it stays depressed when he sets each of his fishing ground waypoints. When I select the ship's order's button the ship's orders dialog box pops up with the Go To button unselected so I have to press it. No worries about that, but then I have to keep pressing the Go To button for each of my fishing ground waypoints, which is kind of tedious. The only tooltip-related settings I can find for my version of Open TTD is the show tooltips timer, which is set to 250 ms and the show measurements tooltip for build tools, which is selected.

How do I get my mouse pointer to show the all the tooltips and how can I get the Go To button to stay selected so I don't have to keep reselecting it every time I set a waypoint?

Thanks
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Tooltips and Go To orders for fishing ships

Post by Supercheese »

There are two game Settings you will want to change to fix your issues: the first is Show Tooltips: Hover for X milliseconds. You can find this option by searching the settings using Filter string: tooltips. You can select the desired hover duration to suit your needs.

The second setting is Quick creation of vehicle orders - you will want to turn this on. This can be found by searching the settings using Filter string: quick.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Supercheese wrote:the first is Show Tooltips: Hover for X milliseconds.
This will not, however, give him the information in the tooltips that he's looking for. That would be part of the patch pack.

If you're looking for high-production or underserviced industries, the easiest way to do that in vanilla OpenTTD is via the industry list, accessed by clicking the industry button on the top toolbar.
Supercheese wrote:The second setting is Quick creation of vehicle orders - you will want to turn this on. This can be found by searching the settings using Filter string: quick.
Just a matter of personal preference, but I prefer having that setting off and pressing the hotkey, G, between orders - 'G click G click G click'. It feels even faster and more flexible than Quick Creation.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

PikkaBird wrote:
Supercheese wrote:the first is Show Tooltips: Hover for X milliseconds.
This will not, however, give him the information in the tooltips that he's looking for. That would be part of the patch pack.
Ah. Yes. My bad. :o
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Vedo41
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vedo41 »

Thanks for replying. Much appreciated.

The quick creation of vehicle orders setting worked, so thanks for that. From what I can gather from the replies it looks like the tooltip issue has no solution because a setting or settings in the latest Open TTD 1.5.0 patch has overridden the mouse-over tooltip function and disabled it. If so then a possible solution might be to dump Open TTD 1.5.0 and instead use the same Hard Pack version Damage was using. The problem with using the Industry button to list all the industries is that I'm using 4096x4096 map and there seem to be thousands of industries in that list!

Thanks again.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Vedo41 wrote:a setting or settings in the latest Open TTD 1.5.0 patch has overridden the mouse-over tooltip function and disabled it.
It hasn't "overriden" anything. That feature has never been in OpenTTD - it's a patch added by the creator of the Hard Pack.
Vedo41 wrote:The problem with using the Industry button to list all the industries is that I'm using 4096x4096 map and there seem to be thousands of industries in that list!
If you sort it by percentage transported, that will at least show your serviced industries at the top of the list. Otherwise, the solution is the same as that to so many users' problems; play a more sensible map size. :)
Vedo41
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vedo41 »

Sure the map size is a tad way over the top, but what the heck? I do still want the tooltip working the way it does for the Hard Pack mod, but I can live without it. Maybe in a future mod for the Open TTD someone could get the mouse-over tooltips to work the way they do in the Hard Pack mod because it's a really nice ease-of-use feature. (Well I like it anyway.)
Thanks again for the advice :)
adf88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by adf88 »

You can try this: [patch]Map tooltips
:] don't worry, be happy and checkout my patches
PropH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PropH »

Last topic creator's visit: 18 April 2015
Sorry for my "great" English
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

PropH wrote:Last topic creator's visit: 18 April 2015
It's still useful for anybody else who may come across this topic someday, even if the original poster never sees it themself.

Return to “General OpenTTD”