Game Balance or Historical Accuracy?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Game Balance or Historical Accuracy?

Post by SquireJames »

Well, UKRS removes all the original rolling stock, but there is a greater selection of locomotives, carriages and wagons, not less as you seem to be trying to imply.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Baldy's Boss wrote:An embarrassment to OpenTTD,that after all the ways in which it adds,it doesn't see the importance of adding back things that the whole TT franchise started with.
You do realise that people are doing this for free, unpaid, right?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Actually,it annoys me that there's no way to add the original Transport Tycoon vehicles that were dropped for TT Deluxe back to OpenTTD (Jinty,Crab,D49,A3) without removing any others.
This isn't true. It's trivially simple to create a NewGRF which adds new vehicles without disabling the defaults. It's also trivially simple to create a NewGRF which adds back facsimiles of the original vehicles for use with any other NewGRF. The fact that no-one else has done so is testament to the fact that no-one else wants it. I'm not sure - now that you know it's possible - what your excuse is.
kamnet wrote:
Gremnon wrote:There's a GRF for that - namely 'Old Wagons, New Cargos'
It also only covers early ECS and MB's NewCargoes, nothing from FIRS or any new sets.
IIRC OwNc merely added broad cargo class refitting to the wagons, so it should be compatible with any industry set present or future. On the other hand, it could be buggy - it was only ever meant to be a short-term stopgap until OpenGFX+ etc took up the mantle. :)
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

Since the TTO can't really be played on modern computers, could using the original sprites for those missing engines in a NewGRF be considered fair use, or would someone have to redraw them?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddy Arfik wrote:Since the TTO can't really be played on modern computers, could using the original sprites for those missing engines in a NewGRF be considered fair use, or would someone have to redraw them?
There's no Fair Use exception to be had. Somebody would have to create their own sprites by hand, and they can't be duplicates of the sprites in the game.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Eddy Arfik wrote:Since the TTO can't really be played on modern computers, could using the original sprites for those missing engines in a NewGRF be considered fair use, or would someone have to redraw them?
Is there something in modern computers that crashes Transport Tycoon?
I originally played on a 486 DX4-120 running NovellDOS,and was able to play TT under DOSBox on a Pentium 4 running Windows XP,but it crashes DOSBox on my i7-3770K running FreeBSD 10.1.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Is there something in modern computers that crashes Transport Tycoon?
I originally played on a 486 DX4-120 running NovellDOS,and was able to play TT under DOSBox on a Pentium 4 running Windows XP,but it crashes DOSBox on my i7-3770K running FreeBSD 10.1.
To put it simply, yes. Modern computers have for the most part sacrificed backwards compatibility with ancient assembly language programs in the name of progress. However as I mentioned in the other thread you described your situation in, you could use virtual machine software such as QEMU to emulate a 486 DX-100 and install a real copy of DOS onto that, DOSBox is full of bugs and in my experience only works for a small percentage of games.

[/offtopic]
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

I actually have the quite opposite experience with Dosbox, I can get most DOS games I have run fine on it, sometimes needing bit of a tweakage but that was the norm for the DOS age. :) Modern 64 bit processors do still support 16 bit mode, although only on their 32 bit mode, which is why Windows 3.1 programs still runs on 32 bit editions of Windows, but not 64 (as a curious aside, Wine for Linux runs 16 bit apps fine under 64 bit kernels though). Dosen't matter for Dosbox though, as Dosbox runs things virtually anyway.
You have to wait until the copyright of the orginal Transport tycoon would expire, then you're free to do so (don't hold your breath, it would take many more decades ;)).

Besides, it's trivial to run (most) DOS games on any modern computer with Dosbox. If your computer is too old for Dosbox, it's probably still capable of running DOS games fine. ;)

Return to “General OpenTTD”