Combining Parallel Services

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Combining Parallel Services

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The Menston coalmine has grown extraordinarily productive,and I serve it well,with service originated in 1942 by a TrainsAI I acquired in 1949.However,three competitors have chiselled in on the action,two with trucks and another TrainsAI,which I'm expecting to acquire when its shares go on the market in 2005.The two rail services are near mirror images,on opposite sides of the mine and powerplant and running similar equipment between similar stations.After a merger,would it be feasible/productive to run all the trains on one set of tracks...perhaps close two of the stations?Or is there advantage to be gained by being able to convert them to maglev at different times?Are two tracks too few for the combined number of trains?

More generally,in 2003 Rartown Brown Railroad Co. was paying about the same amount for maintenance as my Old Plonnville Green RR was at that time,but while Plonnville was running about 50% more trains,Rartown's trains were generating about 50% more revenue,and Rartown's cash pile (about as big as Plonnville's peaked at in 2038) and company value were about four times Plonnville's 2003 values.
None of that means that Rartown will stay more successful,or will not peak before 2038 without proper care.But I'm always looking to improve.
Attachments
RartownBrownRailroadCo.,1stJan2004.sav
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Combining Parallel Services

Post by Alberth »

There is a simple way to find out, namely try it.
Merge the lines, and see how it performs. If you like it, keep it. If you don't like it, either revert it in-game, or reload the savegame you posted here.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Here's a screenshot with the relevant lines and some stats.The AI's shares went on sale 1/1/2005 (I tested and bought 25%) but I would need to do due diligence and check out the stranded stations etc. needing to be demolished on closing the deal.
Taking out one set of tracks and stations would seem efficient if one set can handle all twelve trains (the set I already own has extended platforms for longer trains,so would be the one I kept).But if it takes more to handle them and any future additions I'm not sure what measures would be needed.

No one has experience with acquired TrainsAI operations and their capacities?
Attachments
Rartown Brown Railroad Co., 24th Dec 2004.png
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Baldy's Boss wrote:No one has experience with acquired TrainsAI operations and their capacities?
"No-one cares about that" might be a fair statement :) But let's see who else replies ;)
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

My advice would be to leave both running and set up a track (and a couple of waypoints) so that you can slowly transfer one train at a time to your own track and see how it handles the extra load. The other alternative would be to keep but upgrade the AI station (since it has space at both sides) to make it into a Ro-Ro, then use your tracks and the AI tracks together to make a 2-lane loop. That way you get maximum capacity for a fairly small amount of extra track, and free up your own station for passenger operations. At the other end you could use either station, probably your own since it's already extended
Attachments
roro.png
(2.46 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Jon
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

andythenorth wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:No one has experience with acquired TrainsAI operations and their capacities?
"No-one cares about that" might be a fair statement :) But let's see who else replies ;)
I don't know of any other players who are as aggressive in acquisition of AI companies. People who play with AI probably let the AIs play and complete against human players, so they don't care how saturated or deserted each of AI's lines are. That's why you probably won't hear the voice of experience in this particular matter. Since you're the leading force playing in this style, you will be the resident expert.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

audigex wrote:My advice would be to leave both running and set up a track (and a couple of waypoints) so that you can slowly transfer one train at a time to your own track and see how it handles the extra load. The other alternative would be to keep but upgrade the AI station (since it has space at both sides) to make it into a Ro-Ro, then use your tracks and the AI tracks together to make a 2-lane loop. That way you get maximum capacity for a fairly small amount of extra track, and free up your own station for passenger operations. At the other end you could use either station, probably your own since it's already extended
Menston has a passenger station close to the coal station (Menston North),and it has a more inhabited catchment area than Menston North.
The 2-lane loop is not immediately evident from the single arrow-loop,where would tracks be double?

Return to “General OpenTTD”