Cause of indstry closure?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

bloodysocom
Engineer
Engineer

Cause of indstry closure?

Post by bloodysocom »

Hi all,

I'm scratching my head over this. Searching through google with everything I can think of with no result. Searching through wiki also provide no result.

Provide I'm using vanilla (no NewGRF), what's causing industry closure?
I remember that a long time ago (really long time, when OpenTTD isn't 1.0.0 yet), I have a fine rating Coal Mine that suddenly go down.

Thank you.
kamnet

Re: Cause of indstry closure?

Post by kamnet »

I may be wrong, if so, somebody correct me.

If I remember, however, industry closure can be caused by: 1) Lack of service; 2) Lack of materials; 3) Depletion of cargo. If you were regularly servicing the mine with a line, then very likely you depleted all the cargo. You should have received a warning in the news headlines that the mine was closing.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

do have a station transporting coal from it ? What's your OTTD version ?

edit: kamnet was faster. I guess you can change that in the ECONOMY settings if I'm right !?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Phreeze wrote:I guess you can change that in the ECONOMY settings if I'm right !?
Change what in the economy setting?
There isn't setting for industry closure.

@bloodysocom:
Basically, for default industries, the process is mostly random. A dice is thrown every now and then, and if it's bad the production goes down, if it's good the production goes up.
Well serviced industries have a slightly higher chance of getting 'good', badly serviced industries have a slightly higher chance for 'bad'.

When production goes down to 0, the industry closes.

Since it's a random process, there is not really a cause. Providing good service only reduces the chance for production decrease, it is not eliminated, so even well serviced industries may close.
(It remains possible to throw a '1' with a standard d6 dice, even if you see 2..6 as 'good'.)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Alberth wrote:Since it's a random process, there is not really a cause. Providing good service only reduces the chance for production decrease, it is not eliminated, so even well serviced industries may close.
(It remains possible to throw a '1' with a standard d6 dice, even if you see 2..6 as 'good'.)
[off topic]I need to remember this post when I see the question again... "Why did the mine close when the station rating was 80%?!??!?!?!" :][/off topic]
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

ahh learned sth :) thx
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

May I add here - to [effectively] eliminate decrease for industries with very small productions (18, 24...) - use train with 2 waggons and keep ratings over 60% to slowly bring them up from the gutter of low productivity.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

SirkoZ wrote:May I add here - to [effectively] eliminate decrease for industries with very small productions (18, 24...) - use train with 2 waggons and keep ratings over 60% to slowly bring them up from the gutter of low productivity.
Or simply use road vehicles instead. The eGRVTS has an abundance of big trucks, from abt. 1960 there are articulated long vehicles taking 65 metric tons in one load. That's more than enough for most baseline industries.

To the original question: At present I'm only playing with FIRS, but when I played with the standard industries, some were more apt to close down, even with a perfect service, than others. In particular, oil wells and farms seem to dry up and close down for no good reason at all.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

leifbk wrote:oil wells ... close down for no good reason at all.
That's by design. Oil wells in temperate climate slowly decrease production over time, and eventually close down.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Sylf wrote:
That's by design. Oil wells in temperate climate slowly decrease production over time, and eventually close down.
And instead you get oilrigs
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Sylf wrote:
In the real world we haven't run out of oil fields yet.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Baldy's Boss wrote:
Sylf wrote:
In the real world we haven't run out of oil fields yet.
Keep in mind that when this game was designed in 1993, oil fields were shutting down wourld0wide as the easy-to-reach oil was nearly depleted and we were hitting "peak oil". Hydraulic fracturing had not yet been created.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Baldy's Boss wrote:In the real world we haven't run out of oil fields yet.
It's a game, not a real world simulation.

The design decision to include or exclude something in the game is not based on what real-world does, it's based on making the game more interesting.
Real world behaviour is a source of inspiration, but it is not plainly copied. (You don't have to make a plan for a new railway 30 years ahead and get permission from all authorities, you can just open a construction tool, and build it.)

Oil wells shutting down is interesting from a game perspective, as you have to shift your oil transport to other resources.

However, there are several newgrfs that change oil wells behaviour, find one you like.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Also the gradual drying of oil wells is unique to the temperate climate in TTO and TTD, as this is loosely based on the UK of the latter 20th Century. Over the course of that era you would have been hard pressed to find any productive wells on land in Britain, but North Sea oil production started to take off as time went on. If you play with default industries in other climates you will not have this issue/feature.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

supermop wrote:Also the gradual drying of oil wells is unique to the temperate climate in TTO and TTD, as this is loosely based on the UK of the latter 20th Century.
Ironically, most of England's current onshore oil fields were discovered in the late 1980s, with production peaking around the time TT was released!

Like Alberth said, it's a game mechanic courtesy of no-one who's around here to explain it, so don't try to make too much sense of it. There are GRFs which change this behaviour if you don't like it.
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

I found a very easy way to do 'plain vanilla' industries - never leave the station empty.

start by finding an industry producing at least 32 tons.
build a seven tile station with two platforms (leave room fore more platforms)
buy two trains with full load orders. put enough cars (wagons) on each train that the first train will return before the second one fills up.
check back every 1 - 2 years. if the trains fill up as soon as they arrive and cargo is building up in the station then add more cars/wagons. when the trains reach max length, add another train.
the industry should max out at over 2000 tons in about 25 - 50 years.

this really gets fun when MagLev becomes available. 400 MPH freight trains.

Return to “General OpenTTD”