Speed vs Capacity?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

bloodysocom
Engineer
Engineer

Speed vs Capacity?

Post by bloodysocom »

Hi all.

When is the good time to choose speed, and when to choose cargo capacity?
For example, I use eGRVTS and Heavy Equipment Set.

In eGRVTS, there is double deck bus (passenger cargo capacity) and coach bus(passenger speed).
And in HEQS, there is crawler tractor (coal cargo capacity) and dump truck (coal speed)

When one shines above another?

Thank you :bow: :bow: :bow:
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Speed vs Capacity?

Post by andythenorth »

bloodysocom wrote: And in HEQS, there is crawler tractor (coal cargo capacity) and dump truck (coal speed)
The crawlers are a novelty item, they're probably never better than dump trucks.
bloodysocom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bloodysocom »

Albeit the novelty, they have much more cargo, right? :/
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. The times I've been doing passengers by bus, I've sometimes used the coach for long routes between small towns. Between larger towns and infra-city transport you'll usually have to go for large capacity, and that's the place for double-deckers.

I'm doing a lot of cargo transport by road, and there I tend to use the small and fast vehicles for livestock, food, and so on, while I'm using the slow articulated ones for coal, ore and stuff. But there's a limit to the usefulness of large vehicles, at least when you're using FIRS: If all the different supplies to eg. a paper mill doesn't appear at least once a month, you won't get full production. If your clay pit doesn't produce more than 60 tons per month, it's counter-productive to serve it with the big haulers.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Inscius wrote:-What's the traffic situation? If you plan on sending a road vehicle or train out on a route with plenty of slow vehicles, or on a route with plenty of stops and turns, there's not really any point in getting the faster vehicle, as it will be slowed down. The reverse also applies; don't send a slow vehicle out on a high-speed track/road.
I've played a lot with mixing fast and slow RVs on the same roads. There's usually no problem; if the faster ones are un-articulated and they've got a straight piece of road with no crossings, they'll overtake the slower ones just fine. But beware of long tunnels and bridges :)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

leifbk wrote:
Inscius wrote:-What's the traffic situation? If you plan on sending a road vehicle or train out on a route with plenty of slow vehicles, or on a route with plenty of stops and turns, there's not really any point in getting the faster vehicle, as it will be slowed down. The reverse also applies; don't send a slow vehicle out on a high-speed track/road.
I've played a lot with mixing fast and slow RVs on the same roads. There's usually no problem; if the faster ones are un-articulated and they've got a straight piece of road with no crossings, they'll overtake the slower ones just fine. But beware of long tunnels and bridges :)
So Skipsreder Leifbk A/S does have a ground component?
I suppose one has to be careful with pathfinding if one wants the fast and slow vehicles on separate roads.You may build them unconnected,but can you stop a competitor from connecting them?
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Baldy's Boss wrote:So Skipsreder Leifbk A/S does have a ground component?
I'm usually playing on a 512x512 map with 60% water. That still leaves 40% land (which I prefer to be rather hilly btw), and I'll use road vehicles for what they're worth. But when you start in 1700 and there are only horse carts around for land transport, it's often much better to dig a canal across flat land and use the small and slow sailing ships available. The horse carts are fine for shorter transports of up to 100 tons per month, which fits well with FIRS industries. I'll often use them in transit with ships. Around 1950, when RVs start to offer serious competition to ships, I'll remove parts of the canal system and convert the shorter overland routes to road transport.
I suppose one has to be careful with pathfinding if one wants the fast and slow vehicles on separate roads.You may build them unconnected,but can you stop a competitor from connecting them?
Don't know about competitors. I always play single. But with the horse carts, you've got a division between slow 2-horse carts and the faster 4-horse carts. I'll use the former for ore, coal and the like, and the latter for food etc. Because they behave like articulated vehicles, it won't do to let both use the same roads.

Return to “General OpenTTD”