Updating scenario

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

peterloud
Engineer
Engineer

Updating scenario

Post by peterloud »

A few years ago, in the days of Open TTD 0.6.3, I created a scenario for Northumberland, England. http://wiki.openttd.org/Scenario:Northu ... d,_England .

It was a lot of work as the map was reasonably accurate for elevation and positioning of towns & villages. The industries were semi-realistic, although for good gameplay the dates of the industries were manipulated. I even created a scenario at a greater scale but never published it as it was too big for a single person to control. It would have been great if the companies could have a director for rail, a director for road transport and more for air and sea transport.

However life moved on, and I haven't played TT for ages. Then today I thought I must have another look at that game. After searching through more computers and hard disks than I could count I found what I assume are most of my development files and saves. To my disappointment nothing worked with the latest 1.5.0 Beta 2 version. (I haven't tried it on any older versions).

The main problem seems to be, (apart from my forgetting the technical intricacies), is that I have incorporated some grfs that are now outdated, (coalminew.grf, newshipsw.grf, pb_ukrs.grf and mcdonalds.grf). I am unable to run the game. I wish I could just run it and delete them and add new grfs.

I vaguely remember that when I created the scenario I introduced a 'fiddle' which might later give problems. It was easier to develop the scenario, mainly add rail lines, in the playing mode then convert that save back to a scenario, but, if I'm honest I can't remember exactly what I did.

If any one can give me any advice on how to update/convert an old scenario to run on the latest OpenTTD I would be delighted.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Updating scenario

Post by Wahazar »

Just save game and rename .sav extension to .scn extension.
Additionally, you may wish to change newgrf_developer_tools parameter to true,
in your openttd.cfg, to achieve possibility of changing newgrfs in game (but please read carefully red warning window content).
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

McZapkie wrote:Additionally, you may wish to change newgrf_developer_tools parameter to true
don't do that.

it's for people developing NewGRFs (hence the name).

there's a scenario_developer mode for this situation.
peteloud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by peteloud »

I am making some progress. I have managed to open a few of my old scenarios and run a few saves, but not all. So my main concern is eased, I still have my earlier scenario files, have not lost that bit of work.

My fundamental problem at the moment is just my memory, I can't remember the technical details of OpenTTD. I can't remember how I created the heightmap and what my original map/scenario data file was etc. etc.

The problem I have now is that I can not open some saves or scenarios because the grfs can not be found. I can't remember where the grf files need to be stored so that they are found. I still have the old grf files that I downloaded years ago. Some of the saves and scenarios do open and seem to find the grfs, that I presume is because I have copied the grfs here, there and almost everywhere.

This is an example of what I usually get, when I try and open a scenario,

What I would like to do is to replace these old grfs, in, or linked, to the scenario files, with more recent equivalents that are open source and easier to find and install.

Any suggestions?

Return to “General OpenTTD”