Shuttle viability & Merger Digestion

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Shuttle viability & Merger Digestion

Post by Baldy's Boss »

3 savegames from 2 games...advice is welcome.

Jubilee Rail is an early stage game at an early date.My newest trains,7 and 8,are my most profitable.I'm not sure whether I should keep Train 5,which has trouble turning any profit but may be a key ingredient in Train 7's high profit by making sure the sawmill produces goods.(It shuttles wood from a nearby but low production forest in between runs from a more distant,higher production forest...at this game year trucking the wood's not possible).Trains 6 and 8 both don't seem able to keep up with the production at their source industries.

Rartown Brown Railroad Co. has bought its closest competitor,I spent the month after the acquisition mainly demolishing stranded stations (and in some cases the sabotage structures I used to keep them stranded).Now constructing a link between two acquired stations the AI had left incomplete.Culling 320 station tiles,over 1000 rail pieces,and associated signals cut the merged maintenance bill by 700K/year.Anything I should have done differently digesting the merger (Rartown has had trouble with past mergers) or pitfalls in the future?

I'm still finding the game plays faster than it used to,animation and sound effects at well over the old rate.Not sure whether it's become too fast or stopped being too slow,but I think faster vehicles will look too fast when I get to them.
Attachments
JubileeRailGroup,20thJan1896.sav
(465.91 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
RartownBrownRailroadCo.,1stApr1949.sav
(3.78 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
RartownBrownRailroadCo.,1stMay1949.sav
(3.78 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Shuttle viability & Merger Digestion

Post by Alberth »

Jubilee:

Find a cheaper train in running cost to replace train 5. On the other hand, 300 negative is probably not worth bothering about if you make 37K for goods.
Trains 6 and 8 can use a second train at the line. You can make a passage halfway the line.
I'm still finding the game plays faster than it used to,animation and sound effects at well over the old rate.
It's not just that a lot of things happen at such a large map?
1024x2048 is 32 times the original size, so in theory you need to work 32 times as fast to keep up with all developments.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Alberth wrote:Jubilee:

Find a cheaper train in running cost to replace train 5. On the other hand, 300 negative is probably not worth bothering about if you make 37K for goods.
Trains 6 and 8 can use a second train at the line. You can make a passage halfway the line.
I'm still finding the game plays faster than it used to,animation and sound effects at well over the old rate.
It's not just that a lot of things happen at such a large map?
1024x2048 is 32 times the original size, so in theory you need to work 32 times as fast to keep up with all developments.
Jubilee Train 9 is now sharing Train 6's livestock run,and the backlog at the farm appears headed for zero before long...but it's not clear I'm actually getting more profit off the route!
A cheaper train has replaced Train 5.

Also in Jubilee...one of my competitors bought out another one,the first time I've seen two AIs merge...but the merged company is now in trouble.(OTVI bought out NiceCab).
NiceCab's two trains were trapped facing each other on an incomplete line and this may be dragging OTVI down too.

I am definitely experiencing faster visible train motion and faster sound effects than I experienced before.Some sort of coefficient got changed.(It is NOT the fast-forward function of the program).
Attachments
JubileeRailGroup,1stSep1896.sav
(465.14 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

In the Rartown game,I finished the under-construction coal line from Graston Woods.The AI had built stations with signals,but nothing on the tracks.After finishing the link I added depots and some block signals,the signals at the stations handle the directional parts.I bought trains 93-96 to service the route and they're delivering nicely,the trains the AI bought just before the merger have also started revenue service.However,with the biggger network I suspect there are more things that can be improved.I also want to know how to emulate the AI's trains that were making more money than any of mine.
Attachments
RartownBrownRailroadCo.,1stAug1950.sav
(3.81 MiB) Downloaded 18 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”