Why days and not hours?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rollerghost
Engineer
Engineer

Why days and not hours?

Post by Rollerghost »

I am wondering if there is a special reason behind the usage of days to count time in the game? Why not hours? Kind of strange that it should take two days to load a vehicle with 16 crates of goods.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Why days and not hours?

Post by Redirect Left »

Ask Chris Sawyer.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

If it were hours, it'd be weird that after just a couple of hundred or so hours you get new vehicle generations ...
... and either way it's not like passenger trains take hours to load irl either.

You'll end up with weirdness either way. Since TT was meant to be played from 1950 to 2050 or so I think days is a rather logical choice. ^^
Rollerghost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rollerghost »

Yes, I agree, either way something would look weird. The more I think about it, the more days seem a very logical choice.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

While it won't exactly give you hours, there's the 'Another Daylength Patch' over in the Development part of the forum, which will at least make days longer.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Pyoro wrote:If it were hours, it'd be weird that after just a couple of hundred or so hours you get new vehicle generations ...
... and either way it's not like passenger trains take hours to load irl either.

You'll end up with weirdness either way. Since TT was meant to be played from 1950 to 2050 or so I think days is a rather logical choice. ^^
TTD was meant to be played from 1950 to 2050,but TT was meant to be played from 1930 to 2030.
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

To me, OpenTTD made a quite good simulation (?) for freight rail traffic, but for passenger service timetabling I tend to treat days like minutes. However, in that "treat day as minute" case, 500 years would be analogous to 126.73 days, which is only 4 months! I feel less guilty for developing slowly when this came into my mind.

Return to “General OpenTTD”