What is your favorite OpenTTD music set?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Original Transport Tycoon Deluxe
27%
OpenMSX
10%
Scott Joplin Anthology
7%
Traditional Holiday Music
No votes
Modern Motion
11%
I developed my own OpenTTD music pack
No votes
I play my own tracks apart from OpenTTD
19%
I turn off all music
26%

Total votes: 70

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Ever so often I take the time to put out a new music set for OpenTTD. According to BaNanAs they all seem to be fairly popular, but you know how that goes, there could be a million people downloading it and they never once actually listen. So, I figure I'd take a poll and get some feedback. Which sets do you like? Which ones do you not?

Anything you'd like to see in the future? (NOTE: Please, for the love of me, DO NOT bring up lack of MP3/FLAC/whatever support, development of a new audio player, etc. Until somebody actually codes support for other types of music files, new player, whatever, I can't do anything about it!)
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: What is your favorite OpenTTD music set?

Post by Eddy Arfik »

I switch between OpenMSX and Modern Motion on a regular basis, both sets have some very good tracks, but I think "OpenTTD Journey" is much better suited to the intro screen than "Rock Force", it reminds me a lot of the original TTD theme. Another thing I've noticed is with Modern Motion some of the tracks have much lower volume than others and it can get a bit annoying at times, is it possible to normalise a group of MIDIs in the same way it can be done with WAV/MP3?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddy Arfik wrote:I switch between OpenMSX and Modern Motion on a regular basis, both sets have some very good tracks, but I think "OpenTTD Journey" is much better suited to the intro screen than "Rock Force", it reminds me a lot of the original TTD theme. Another thing I've noticed is with Modern Motion some of the tracks have much lower volume than others and it can get a bit annoying at times, is it possible to normalise a group of MIDIs in the same way it can be done with WAV/MP3?
Unfortunately not. MIDI files are not an audio file, they are essentially a set of computer instructions that a program reads and then executes. It is possible to make adjustments in the audio levels, but it requires knowledge of using a MIDI editor or synthesizer to make the changes, which is something that is actually beyond my capability, and also I'm not sure I actually have any legal right to make any type of edit to those files and then redistribute them. Particularly in the case of Modern Motion, while I havae a legal right to use and distribute them, I know I have no legal right at all to alter them in any way. They are offered "as is" by their respective authors.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

foobar2000 set on shuffle. And sometimes some peace and quiet, but never ingame music. NEVER. ^^
Roslav
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roslav »

Pyoro wrote:foobar2000 set on shuffle. And sometimes some peace and quiet, but never ingame music. NEVER. ^^
s/foobar2000/clementine :-P
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

I'm playing my 12669 tracks by 255 different "artist" names, mostly 40s and 50s jazz music, randomly in Clementine's dynamic playlist. That's my very own Jazz jukebox.

my last.fm playlist
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I use Winamp in the background to play music all the time, but when I play OTTD, I often queue up the Transport Tycoon 2013 soundtrack, since it's an improved, remastered version of the classic soundtrack.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

I listen to either Enigma (I to V only) or the original TTD midi tracks, they are priceless.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Supercheese wrote:I often queue up the Transport Tycoon 2013 soundtrack, since it's an improved, remastered version of the classic soundtrack.
Do you have a download link/ youtube link to those tracks?
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

SquireJames wrote:Do you have a download link/ youtube link to those tracks?
Sadly, no. You can extract them from the game's .apk file very easily, if you have root access on your Android device (.apk files are essentially .zip files). The music is encoded at a fairly low quality, though, so I hope an official release with improved quality is in the offing.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Supercheese wrote:
SquireJames wrote:Do you have a download link/ youtube link to those tracks?
Sadly, no. You can extract them from the game's .apk file very easily, if you have root access on your Android device (.apk files are essentially .zip files). The music is encoded at a fairly low quality, though, so I hope an official release with improved quality is in the offing.
If you have the iOS version, apparently it's available in a 256 kbps, 48kHz rip. Read more: http://www.reddit.com/r/openttd/comment ... ablet_rip/
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

I see, well I can always purchase it on Android I suppose.

Kammet, that page refuses to load for me. Comes up with a page saying "Ow, this page took too long to load for you"
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

i haven't selcted the holiday music, but i play them during xmas :)
Plord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Plord »

Hello!

I do like modern motion, it is very inspiring...

I tried to find the music in you tube and on the links on the main thread (funny comment: one redirects to a Canadian coat store), and some authors are not known (other funny comment: one of them is George Martin, you can imagine how spoiled the search is).

So I could say thanks for the compilation! Pretty hard work there... I would like to see some more in openttd like contemporary motion or post modern motion Jo Jo.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

I really really like Modern Motion. It'd be nice to have more tracks in the same vein (my favourites are the new style ones and also Rockin' Ruby). Sadly I've been having troubles with MIDI and the songs sometimes play weird... But it's still enjoyable. : )

Return to “General OpenTTD”