I've had enough.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Twyster
Engineer
Engineer

I've had enough.

Post by Twyster »

OzTrans wrote:No, there will be no parameter … because all GRF development for OpenTTD has been terminated. There will be no further updates nor any release of new versions of my GRFs, not now and not in the future either.

A few weeks ago, we've had lengthy discussions about the GRFIDs chosen by some members of this community. Unfortunately, these discussions have fallen on deaf ears. and because the animals have now been released, graphics development for OpenTTD has now ceased. Further, none of OpenTTD's presidents thought it necessary to clear this matter up and give GRF authors the necessary certainty in regard to GRF compatibility.

Then, I said and I quote :

"If I cannot have a single complete range or two of GRFIDs for my own personal and exclusive use without interference, then there is no purpose for me to continue GRF development for OpenTTD."

Now, the time has come to pull out … a few weeks ago ... when I wanted to quit, I was asked to reconsider and to give the reckless scoundrels time to fix the issues. Naturally, nothing has happened since and therefore I will not reconsider this time. The decision is final … no wares from me any more.

It is an unfortunate situation, now OpenTTD players will have to bear the consequences, because of a few culprits, a bunch of seasoned thugs, and the total lack of support from OpenTTD's presidents, who thought it unnecessary to provide GRF developers with an environment, where they can quietly develop their wares without interference by others.

BTW, Canadian GRFs are no longer available at the fruit store or any other location for that matter. There is enough rubbish (although there are a few exceptions) available there, my crap contributions surely won't be missed.

[loud cheers can be heard] … from those responsible, who have truly excelled themselves; I'm not the first one to leave and I won't be the last one either …

Have a nice day ...
NO. You know what? Here's what I have to say:

I have tried making NewGRFs and failed miserably. I have no right to ask much of anything from NewGRF developers. I can't ask them to work faster or remove their NewGRFs from BaNaNaS or do a given thing with their contributions such as adding X vehicle.

But I do have the right to say NO, the community leaders do not have the right to cause this to happen, and OzTranz does NOT have the right to remove his work as revenge for what a few members of the community did. EVERYONE STOP IT RIGHT NOW and come to an agreement, I don't care who uses what ID numbers or whatever, as long as the people who have sat by and patiently watched things be made, only for them to be pulled away from us because of something that wasn't even our fault, have access. Someone WILL contact him, they WILL tell him to release his NewGRFs, he WILL do as he's told or the GRFs will be released WITHOUT his permission, and from now on their WILL be an agreement as to how IDs are handled.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. I have the files. Do it, or I WILL release them on BaNaNaS or elsewhere, if it takes me months and even if I get banned in the process.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: I've had enough.

Post by Eddy Arfik »

There is no need to distribute the files yourself and risk a copyright violation, the old non-broken versions are still on Bananas, just not showing for download. If however you have a savegame made with a working version, that same version will be downloaded upon loading the save. I have tested this myself by deleting all Canadian GRF's from my computer, then loading an old savegame. If such a savegame was to be uploaded to the forum, so that anyone who wanted the old GRF's could simply load the game and auto-download the content, it would be entirely legal, since you are not distributing the files yourself, the files would be distributed by Bananas according to its Terms of Service which OzTrans agreed to when uploading them there :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

So it's perfectly okay for you to throw a hissy fit and disrespect somebody's property rights because you don't like what they've said or what they've done? You think it is okay for you to dictate how other people's work is used, without their say-so or permission?

I say that's a pretty poor attitude to have, and I don't think many in this community, or another other community, would put up with it. I can guarantee you that if you try to upload the files to BaNaNaS, it will fail. It will likely get you permanently banned here as well. You can put them up elsewhere, but do you really want to open yourself up to the backlash that will most assuredly happen? OzTrans would be more than within his right to take legal action against you if you carried this out.

While I'm extremely disappointed that OzTrans has decided to do what he's done, and to say what he has said, and acted the way that he has, he has absolutely every right to do so. You, however, do not have a right to do what you're proposing. It's not only illegal in every country, it's disrespectful. OzTrans doesn't owe you a single thing, he's not done anything to you or against you, personally or otherwise.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I dont agree with what Oztrans has done although i understand the effect of a mistake another developer has caused to his work, however he has every right to remove his IP from download.

Who the hell do you think you are twyster to make demands of anybody??? I promise if you tried that with any of my work, I would bring the full force of the law down against you. If you have the files then use them for yourself, why do you care who else has them if you can still use them?

It is not your right to redistribute the work of others against their wishes, and to even suggest it, i would recommend you be evicted from the community.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Twyster wrote:I did catch that tidbit about stolen graphics. This forum should have had a rule where if you're accused of stealing graphics you get a fair trial, and if proven guilty its a permanent ban. Then maybe some of the best graphics artists wouldn't feel the need to forgo GPL to hide away their projects on Simuscape or keep them to themselves like michaelblunk.
Even better is your proposing to do exactly what you condemned in the british trains thread. Irony much?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Good. And now everything has been said again(!) we can close this flamming thread.

Return to “General OpenTTD”