Thinking of doing my own OpenTTD let's play

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

insulfrog
Engineer
Engineer

Thinking of doing my own OpenTTD let's play

Post by insulfrog »

I am planning to do my very first OpenTTD let's play but there's a few things that I would like to ask before I post anything on Youtube. I believe that these questions apply to anyone else that want to do an OpenTTD let's play.

I am not using any newGRF, not using openGFX, Zbase or anything else that modifies the gameplay from the stable 1.4.4 release which I am using (currently using original for graphics, sounds, etc. but not playing music).

Will I need any permissions in this current state in order to start as I don't want to infringe any copyright stuff or other legal issues?

If I start, and post on the forums and no debut I'll make a dedicated thread for it, where would be the best place to put said thread?

Will I need to contact content creators (for newGRF, patches and other base sets) for permission to use their content in OpenTTD let's plays featuring these types of add-ons & mods?

Is there anything else I need to consider that I have not mentioned here?
Netist
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Thinking of doing my own OpenTTD let's play

Post by Netist »

OpenTTD itself is licensed under GPL v2, meaning you should be totally okay doing a let's play (in fact, you could also create your own game based on the OpenTTD code, if you wanted to!).

And, in fact, most NewGRFs are also under similar free licenses. Since NewGRFs don't technically modify existing code, I'm not entirely sure if GPL v2 would require them to be under a similarly free license (I don't think it would), but in my experience most NewGRF developers do so anyway.

So, you're probably fine with anything you want to do. I know a lot of developers might get pissy if you start using their resources in your own work, but with the size and culture in the *TTD community, I doubt they'll care if you make some videos.

When in doubt, check the license if you can find it (it can be a real pain in the ass sometimes). If it's something like GPL (GNU Public License) or one of the BSD licenses, you've got clearance.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

On the real end of things, you can do whatever you want, you don't need to contact anybody. Even with "copyrighted" NewGRFs and graphics, unless their license (if there is one) prohibits you from doing such a thing (never, not ever once, encountered such a license), you're free to go. In all the years I've been here, and the hundreds of thousands of forum threads I've come across, nobody has ever once objected to seeing their graphics used in a video or a screenshot (except maybe SAC, and that was only because somebody stole her graphics and then released them as a NewGRF without her permission). And if anybody here were to start complaining, their punk card would likely get pulled very quickly. Feel free to use OpenGFX or zBase or whatever NewGRF, patch, script or AI you want.

Only place you might get in trouble is with music. Stick with just OpenTTD's music sets and you're fine, they're all covered under license. If you're playing anybody else's copyrighted music, and don't have a proper performance license, YouTube might fuss. But, as far as license go, if you want to be completely "in the clear", then you actually SHOULD use zBase or one of the OpenGFX derivatives. I've never seen Chris Sawyer, Atari, or whoever bring up a copyright complaint because their graphics or music have been used, but if YouTube or whoever got snooty about it, sticking with the open source licenses that come with most OpenTTD packages makes it very clear.

As for where to post it, the Screenshots gallery would be the preferred place.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

This would be considered "fair use", so no need to ask permission or anything.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

insulfrog wrote:I am planning to do my very first OpenTTD let's play but there's a few things that I would like to ask before I post anything on Youtube.
Are you involved in the Youtube partner program?
insulfrog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by insulfrog »

I am not part of any partner programmes on Youtube, as I am new to this let's play thing and that is why I want to ask these questions before I upload any videos. Thank you for all the replies on the forums and the IRC channel so far and please keep them comming in as this thread could also provide help to others on this forum who would like to do their own OpenTTD let's play. No debut that will happen in the near future.

Return to “General OpenTTD”