cargodist options

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

cargodist options

Post by dasy2k1 »

Looking at the latest nightlies you can choose the distrubution method for PAX MAIL Armoured and Other

I would love to either have GOODS as a catogory on its own or combine it to somthing like town cargos
(basically goods and food depending on what you use as your industry set, anything that is primaraly accepted by houses rather than industries really)

that way with my ECS vectors game i would be able to deliver raw materials to wherever but would have to deliver the goods produced to where they actually wanted to go
(assuming town cargos set to asymetric and other cargo set to manual)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: cargodist options

Post by andythenorth »

It takes a bit of time to understand (in my case), but the cargos don't 'want' to go anywhere with cargodist. There are no pre-determined destinations, simply create the routes you want and the cargo will flow along them. ;)
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

well, it s a bit more compicated than that.

They are not predetermined if there is only one choice of destination, it will go there, but it become predeterminated destination once cargos have choices of destination (and they choose according to the distance and symetry/asymetry settings.

an example is what happens if you deliver goods from one factory/station to multiple towns(via multiple lines). the cargos will choose their destination according to the cargodist settings.

I once tried to distribute goods with hubs and stuff, and there you are totally seeing that you don t have a full control on where cargo should be delivered (except the cargodist settings wich allow to tweak things)<--- edit : sorry it might be confusing, cargo will ofc only choose destiation it can reaches via the existing links.
Panando
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Panando »

The thing with cargo dist for freight is it doesn't really do much of a job of understanding the requirements of the target industries. This is especially a problem in FIRS and ECS, but it also matters when you're using a city growth game script, and some destinations just want much more food than others. I would like a more responsive mode for freight which responds more to the link capacity than the 'wishes' of the freight.
As it is I consider cargodist basically unusable for freight. I mean, it technically works, but the game is more enjoyable without it.
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

indeed when you have industries that stockpile its no good when all your coal waiting wants to go to the steelmill that has overflowing piles of coal and wont accept any more!
goods on the other hand I would like to be able to distribute from one factory to several cities without having to have seperate point to point services. via the nearest city as a hub and then onwards on my mail and goods services

Return to “General OpenTTD”