Replacing trains that are old

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Hafting
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Replacing trains that are old

Post by Hafting »

Captain Obvious wrote:
McZapkie wrote:
Because the code is written by volunteers. They used to have many commonly used settings, now buried in the "Advanced Settings" locations, located under the option known as "Difficulty Settings". Yeah, I didn't understand this decision either, but that's what you get when you use opensource software. That's why, to the best of my ability, I only use professionally done retail software (like Microsoft Office as opposed to OpenOffice.org). Sure I pay a price for it, but it's always better than opensource.
My experience is the exact opposite. I use only open-source software. Not so much to save money these days, but because it is so much better. "Professional software" merely tend to be more polished, and therefore look neater. That is necessary to sell it at all. But it is always behind and lacking in features, Especially less visible things like optimization and fixing of small bugs. This for some simple reasons:

[*] Pro software has a budget, and therefore a limited amount of developer time. They can't do everything. The can't fix every bug, they can't add every feature someone might want. And they have to spend some of their limited time on visible features that will justify the cost of the next upgrade. And some time on whatever the boss dictates, whether or not the customer wants or needs it.
[*] Open software has more developers. There is no budget constraint. Anyone who wish can add stuff, and maintaineras tend to accept anything that is well done and don't run contrary to their idea of the sw. Not all new ideas are accepted - but many are. And every bugfix!

Openttd is a prime example of why open source rules. The original Transport Tycoon games were first, and they were nice for their time. But where are they now - they're discontinued! Money can't buy you an up-to-date TTD, adapted to the larger worlds current computers will support, the Internet that lets you play against opponents all over the world (all using their own language), the large full-HD (or 4K) screens we didn't have 20 years ago, and all the nice game features that have accumulated since then. Features that keeps the game interesting - while most commercial games get boring after a few years - or even months. And then there is support for several modern operating systems. Discontinued games aren't re-launched on newer OSes. But open source is never discontinued as long as anyone is interested. And so we play openttd - on machinery and OSes that did not exist when you could buy the original in shops.

If a messy "settings dialog" bugs you, consider reorganizing the dialog yourself. The source is available, a patch will likely be welcome. :-) Or you can play the retail version. No messy settings, retail don't seem to have those options at all. . .
simonthk
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Replacing trains that are old

Post by simonthk »

Baldy's Boss wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
McZapkie wrote:I dont understand, why autorenew is hidden deeply in advanced configuration.
Many beginners ask about, because they fon't see this option directly.
Because the code is written by volunteers. They used to have many commonly used settings, now buried in the "Advanced Settings" locations, located under the option known as "Difficulty Settings". Yeah, I didn't understand this decision either, but that's what you get when you use opensource software. That's why, to the best of my ability, I only use professionally done retail software (like Microsoft Office as opposed to OpenOffice.org). Sure I pay a price for it, but it's always better than opensource.
Ugh.
Software should not be paid for.
No it shouldnt, but the day you are gonna use it profesionally in a company, you needa pay for stuff that aint opensource many times.

OpenTTD though is not one of them :D it rocks. But yea for newcomers, can be abit harsh to see the trains break down. Probably takes some googling for all new people to figure all this out, and some might not make it.

Return to “General OpenTTD”