Replacing trains that are old

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Triniti
Engineer
Engineer

Replacing trains that are old

Post by Triniti »

Hello

Is there a eassy way to replace trains that are to old and need replacments ?
i tried in the trainscreen with replace trains but it ownly lets you update trains of a older
version to a newer version is there a way to replace all of them ?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Replacing trains that are old

Post by planetmaker »

Renewing an engine with the same model is autorenew (adv. settings), replacing with different model autoreplace (train list view)

https://wiki.openttd.org/Autoreplace#Autoreplace
https://wiki.openttd.org/Autorenew#Autorenew
Triniti
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Triniti »

can't seem to find the config file
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you don't need the config file for that.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I dont understand, why autorenew is hidden deeply in advanced configuration.
Many beginners ask about, because they fon't see this option directly.
Captain Obvious
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Captain Obvious »

McZapkie wrote:I dont understand, why autorenew is hidden deeply in advanced configuration.
Because the code is written by volunteers. They used to have many commonly used settings, now buried in the "Advanced Settings" locations, located under the option known as "Difficulty Settings". Yeah, I didn't understand this decision either, but that's what you get when you use opensource software. That's why, to the best of my ability, I only use professionally done retail software (like Microsoft Office as opposed to OpenOffice.org). Sure I pay a price for it, but it's always better than opensource.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Captain Obvious wrote:
McZapkie wrote:I dont understand, why autorenew is hidden deeply in advanced configuration.
Because the code is written by volunteers. They used to have many commonly used settings, now buried in the "Advanced Settings" locations, located under the option known as "Difficulty Settings". Yeah, I didn't understand this decision either, but that's what you get when you use opensource software. That's why, to the best of my ability, I only use professionally done retail software (like Microsoft Office as opposed to OpenOffice.org). Sure I pay a price for it, but it's always better than opensource.
So, you're branching OpenTTD into a payware product? Nifty! What's your timeline on that? Hiring for developers yet? Got funding?
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Please don't treat my question as rethoric and offensive - I just observed that "I have no autorenew option" problem repeatedly occurs both in forum threads and ingame chat.
My question was - is it intended to hide autorenew option deeply (I understand, that details such servicing period, should be hidden), or it was digged accidentally?
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Captain Obvious wrote:
Ugh.
Software should not be paid for.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

McZapkie wrote:is it intended to hide autorenew option deeply (I understand, that details such servicing period, should be hidden), or it was digged accidentally?
Neither really. It's grown over the years and autorenew is older than autoreplace. IMHO it should both be unified and accessible from the same place(s), at least (also) from the vehicle / list management (thus where there's autoreplace right now).
Blocky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Blocky »

I agree with the above - I personally would like to be able to autoreplace with exisiting vehicles not just new vehicles. I like auto renew but sometimes it throws a whole bunch of money away just before I was getting around to replacing my engines with something newer and shinier. I guess I like getting the "your train is getting old" message and then being able to make the choice whether to renew or replace. Hopefully that makes sense.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

At 200 vehicles running around in your game, and 20 year life time, you have 10 replacements every game year, which at 13 real-time minutes / game year gives you such a question evey 1.3 minutes, say about every 90 seconds.

Are you really happy with a game asking you the same sort of question every 90 seconds?
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Blocky wrote:I agree with the above - I personally would like to be able to autoreplace with exisiting vehicles not just new vehicles. I like auto renew but sometimes it throws a whole bunch of money away just before I was getting around to replacing my engines with something newer and shinier. I guess I like getting the "your train is getting old" message and then being able to make the choice whether to renew or replace. Hopefully that makes sense.
I'm fine with the train age message when no arrangements have been made (the opportunity to autoreplace is a powerful argument for setting up Groups).
But I do think that after a few years of "urgently needs replacing" the word "getting" should disappear...the train IS very old!
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Blocky wrote:I like auto renew but sometimes it throws a whole bunch of money away just before I was getting around to replacing my engines with something newer and shinier.
It doesn't exactly throw your money away. If you sell a recently replaced vehicle, you'll get back most of what you paid for it.

In the extreme cases when you sell a brand spanking new vehicle that hasn't even left the depot, AFAICS you'll get back every penny.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

leifbk wrote:It doesn't exactly throw your money away. If you sell a recently replaced vehicle, you'll get back most of what you paid for it.
You are right, however value deprecating algorithm (DecreaseVehicleValue function) probably should be revised anyway, because currently algorithm with slow deprecating rate is sometimes abused for cheating (for example, you can buy vehicle with high running costs, earn money and sell it instead of returning empty).
Vehicle value should stay fixed for a month (to have possibility of returning in case of accidentally wrong purchase) and decrease faster.

Whole autorenew.autoreplace mechanism can be fixed easily in my opinion - just allow to autoreplace given vehicle by the same model - do not remove same model from right window.
The only difference between other or same model should be disabled possibility of "autoreplace now" - if same model is choosen, only "autoreplace if old" should be available.

It would be much more convenient and clear than existing separate autorenew/autoreplace functions.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

McZapkie wrote:
leifbk wrote:It doesn't exactly throw your money away. If you sell a recently replaced vehicle, you'll get back most of what you paid for it.
You are right, however value deprecating algorithm (DecreaseVehicleValue function) probably should be revised anyway, because currently algorithm with slow deprecating rate is sometimes abused for cheating (for example, you can buy vehicle with high running costs, earn money and sell it instead of returning empty).
I've heard that car dealers regularly calculate a 15 % decrease in value as soon as the buyer has taken possession of the vehicle. A 15-20 % percent decrease in value when a vehicle leaves the depot for the first time would certainly prevent abuse.
McZapkie wrote:Whole autorenew.autoreplace mechanism can be fixed easily in my opinion - just allow to autoreplace given vehicle by the same model - do not remove same model from right window.
The only difference between other or same model should be disabled possibility of "autoreplace now" - if same model is choosen, only "autoreplace if old" should be available.

It would be much more convenient and clear than existing separate autorenew/autoreplace functions.
I totally agree, sir.
s0cks
Engineer
Engineer

Post by s0cks »

Glad I saw this post. I was wondering how people manage old trains. It would take me ages to replace all the old trains on one network and i thought there had to be a better way!
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Alberth wrote:At 200 vehicles running around in your game, and 20 year life time, you have 10 replacements every game year, which at 13 real-time minutes / game year gives you such a question evey 1.3 minutes, say about every 90 seconds.

Are you really happy with a game asking you the same sort of question every 90 seconds?
Personally speaking this only really affects me when it comes to road vehicles, as that's where you will start spending A LOT of time manually replacing each and every bus and truck (and you can easily built large quantities of each, but do you really want to have to manually replace them too?). I use the autoreplace function for road vehicles only, I quite enjoy replacing my trains as rather than 'replace', usually when the train is older a new, faster, more powerful engine is available to it's more of a replacement than a renew, same for planes too.

That's of course if you spend most of the years playing in a period of time where new vehicles become available, it's all up to the player though.
I only discovered auto-replace the other day and it saves lots of time, only issue is if you build groups of say..road vehicles within different years (different routes / sections of the map etc) then auto-replacing them all would replace the new models too, would that be correct?
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

You can autoreplace only vehicles within a group. Choose group and then use autoreplace function.
Autoreplace can be done instantly or like autorenew (replace if old).
Warning - in case of global autoreplace settings, groups settings are ignored.

PS. I have proposal, that autorenew and autoreplace would work for wagons similar as for locomotives
(the only difference is that warning messages concerning lack of replacement would be deprecated).
Such option would help to change old livery carriages to the new one.
Wagon costs are usually not very high.
epictetus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by epictetus »

McZapkie wrote: Whole autorenew.autoreplace mechanism can be fixed easily in my opinion - just allow to autoreplace given vehicle by the same model - do not remove same model from right window.

I agree, though I imagine the convenience with autorenew is that you wouldn't need to go through all the trains and set them up to "autoreplace with same model if old". I can't really think of any situations where I wouldn't want to upgrade to a new vehicle. When I started using it, I thought autorenew was needed to make autoreplace work so I had vehicles renewing before I could replace them and much frustration ensued.

Return to “General OpenTTD”