Help on adding Lakes and Rivers

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Manuestaire
Engineer
Engineer

Help on adding Lakes and Rivers

Post by Manuestaire »

Recently I've spent a lot of time on doing an accurate heightmap of Japan and i'm quite happy with the results (with the exception of hokkaido out of the map) and before starting to add towns and industries to the map my next step now is to add rivers and lakes, I've tried some different things but haven't found a method yet, so my question is, what's the best way to add rivers and lakes to an scenario? Can it be done through the heigthmap? Is anyone willing to add rivers to my japan heightmap?

Thanks!
Attachments
map.JPG
map.JPG (29.32 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Help on adding Lakes and Rivers

Post by Pyoro »

Looks nice ... but unfortunately for now heightmaps are only that: heightmaps, and nothing else - meaning you can't store rivers or lakes, unless you do them all at sea level; which probably won't work too nicely for Japan.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

I feel like I should point out that you can now do a much higher number of height levels in nightly versions. And as you're doing Japan, this may well be of interest as you could create proper mountains!
Manuestaire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Manuestaire »

Pingaware wrote:I feel like I should point out that you can now do a much higher number of height levels in nightly versions. And as you're doing Japan, this may well be of interest as you could create proper mountains!
Sounds interesting, anyways i think i got a good result with the current height levels, i'm keeping the original image so i think all i'd need would be to reimport it.

Any of you can give me any hint on how do map makes generate lakes and rivers? (not being able to place diagonal rivers is really killing me)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Pingaware wrote:I feel like I should point out that you can now do a much higher number of height levels in nightly versions. And as you're doing Japan, this may well be of interest as you could create proper mountains!
So will these height levels affect the values of the Very Flat/Flat/Hilly/Mountainous settings,or will there be new options added to that menu?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Manuestaire wrote:Any of you can give me any hint on how do map makes generate lakes and rivers? (not being able to place diagonal rivers is really killing me)
Right now you cannot. While there is a feature to create rivers lakes, it is mostly random while taking some suggestion on the landscape after the game creates the landscape. It will not be able to even remotely come close to accurately depicting real rivers and lakes, though.

The best you can do is import the image or heightmap into the Scenario Editor, and then manually add those features.
Manuestaire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Manuestaire »

kamnet wrote:The best you can do is import the image or heightmap into the Scenario Editor, and then manually add those features.
I'm trying to add them manually ATM, but it's a headache trying to make diagonal rivers, and the visual result is ugly, that's why i'm asking for some suggestion for creating diagonal rivers with the current tools...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

using a different NewGRF for rivers might help, like MB's rivers instead of the (very rectangular) OpenGFX rivers.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Eddi wrote:using a different NewGRF for rivers might help, like MB's rivers instead of the (very rectangular) OpenGFX rivers.
Did you mean zBase? Anyhow, vice versa makes sense. Compared to OpenGFX and especially OpenGFX+Landscape, every other river set is blocky or rectangular.

EDIT: here a screenshot linked from the OpenGFX+Landscape set.
Manuestaire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Manuestaire »

Thanks planetmaker, that helped a lot!

I'm running on some incompatibilities with the japanese landscape set, but the use of opengfx is worth.
Manuestaire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Manuestaire »

So, i finally started to add rivers manually, let me know what you think:
capturerivers.jpg
capturerivers.jpg (222.23 KiB) Viewed 605 times
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Manuestaire wrote: I'm trying to add them manually ATM, but it's a headache trying to make diagonal rivers, and the visual result is ugly
I had similar thoughts: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=70846
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.

Return to “General OpenTTD”