Low productivity at Ore Mine.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rollerghost
Engineer
Engineer

Low productivity at Ore Mine.

Post by Rollerghost »

As the picture shows I have an Iron Ore Mine with very low production. There are lots of vehicles at the mine and three trucks are waiting for load. Does anyone have any idea why the productivity is so low? I thoght having enough vehicles should bring productivity up.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Low productivity at Ore Mine.

Post by Baldy's Boss »

What picture?

I never assume that geology is changed by service...I seek out the most productive mines to start from the best base!
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

It depends to a certain degree on which industry set you're using. Here are the rules for the default industries. In FIRS, for instance, the initial settings never change.
Rollerghost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rollerghost »

Sorry fpor the missing picture, I will try to get it here.
I am using the ESC vectors in this game.
Attachments
Iron Ore Mine.png
Iron Ore Mine.png (39.88 KiB) Viewed 5993 times
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Production levels work differently if you use the ECS Vectors instead of the default industries.
Information on the ECS Vectors can be found on the tt-wiki: http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/ECS

If you want to know how the production of the iron ore mine is defined, see this page: http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/ECS_Machine ... n_ore_mine
IdleHans
Engineer
Engineer

Post by IdleHans »

So if I am using bog ordinary industries, I can improve their output by improving their ratings?
Company President and CEO. The Viking Union Transport Company.
Wings Over The World Airlines.
Appreciate me now and avoid the rush.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Yes, as described in the link posted by leifbk.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Usually all industries of all sets love player's attention. Player's attention is measured in % transported.
Have % transported over 60 and you'll be fine.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

SirkoZ wrote:Usually all industries of all sets love player's attention. Player's attention is measured in % transported.
So how do I increase my poor/very poor service to the Darside Marsh and Bandown Castle coal mines?
(And I wish the trains at the power station would use the exit loop more consistently,is it signalled wrong?)
Attachments
LittleOldWorldRedRailroad,1stJun1913.sav
(240.5 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Baldy's Boss wrote:So how do I increase my poor/very poor service to the Darside Marsh and Bandown Castle coal mines?
This is a completely off topic from the original post... but here's my solution.
When you ask a train to visit 2 mines, one to just visit and load what's available, and other to wait for full load - Of course the station that doesn't get the full load order will have bad rating, because the trains spend most of their time at the other station. If you don't want to use full load order, then don't use it in any stations, and build an infrastructure that can support many trains in that system, and have a constant flow of trains visiting the station. Or, don't have trains visit multiple mines stations - have dedicated train for each station, and give them full load orders.

Also, having the signals on the single track section is bad. Eliminate all two way signals there. We don't have manual signal operators in OpenTTD, so having such signals will do more harms than good.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Baldy's Boss wrote:
SirkoZ wrote:Usually all industries of all sets love player's attention. Player's attention is measured in % transported.
So how do I increase my poor/very poor service to the Darside Marsh and Bandown Castle coal mines?
(And I wish the trains at the power station would use the exit loop more consistently,is it signalled wrong?)
There isn't an appropriate order in OpenTTD yet to use such mode of transportation.
You would have to have a 2-station order go to station_1, wait for 0-50% (max. 50%) load and then go to station_2 and wait there for the other 50% (max., configurable) to fill.
Efficient rail connections between all 3 stations would have to ensure that trains from station_1 going to station_2 could still maintain over 60% transported otherwise it's
more sensible to just make PTP connections.
There could be 2-station order group and other groups of special orders but that's already way off-topic here, should be under "Suggestions"...
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Industries with low output, ie. less than 100 tons per month, are usually much better served by road vehicles than by trains.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

I disagree. You just have to use small trains (2 wagons) and they will quite quickly go up (faster than with RV's) and with that you must of course gradually lengthen the train...
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

SirkoZ wrote:I disagree. You just have to use small trains (2 wagons) and they will quite quickly go up (faster than with RV's) and with that you must of course gradually lengthen the train...
It looks like you still need a certain length of journey for this to work...I can't seem to make Train 36 profitable in the attached game though 2 ore mines are competing to serve the steel mill and the short train is constantly making trips to the nearby factory.
Attachments
MalbergMauveR.R. Co.,7thDec1938.sav
(3.74 MiB) Downloaded 113 times
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Of course with 2-wagon trains you'll still need to keep station ratings up (over 60%)
and with that comes having fluent connections and adequate number of trains.
Panando
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Panando »

Baldy's Boss wrote: It looks like you still need a certain length of journey for this to work...I can't seem to make Train 36 profitable in the attached game though 2 ore mines are competing to serve the steel mill and the short train is constantly making trips to the nearby factory.
In OpenTTD payment increases linearly with distance, that is, you get paid twice as much for twice the distance. The contrary factor is payment reduces with time spent in transit, and beyond a certain point (perhaps about 500 tiles for slow-ish trains) the time factor might surpass the distance factor. But the following rule of thumb works very well:
To maximize profits, deliver stuff to a distant destination.

It is distance between stations which matters, not the distance between industries. With short routes you can exploit this by building stations on the far sides of the industries, maximizing the distance between the stations. This can result in double or triple the profits compared with building the stations as close as possible to each other. It is the 'as the crow flies' distance which matters so make routes as direct as possible.

The other factor in profits, is how much stuff you move. Industries can be coaxed into producing more cargo by providing good service. It is very important to keep station ratings above 60% which is a critical breakpoint (at above 60%, the industry tends to increase in production, below 60% it tends to fall in production). The way you do this is by ensuring there is (nearly) always a vehicle loading at the station as station rating plummets if there are long periods of no service, and if cargo accumulates in the station, so always use at least 2 trains per station so one can load while the other delivers. You also get a station rating boost for using faster vehicles so you should prefer faster engines even if they're a bit more expensive.

Basically if you follow the two rules of:
Deliver stuff long distance.

And:
Always have a vehicle loading.

You will make tonnes of profit.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Panando wrote:It is distance between stations which matters
more specifically: the distance between the station signs.
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

Rollerghost wrote:Sorry fpor the missing picture, I will try to get it here.
I am using the ESC vectors in this game.
Here's how you maximize production with both coal and iron ore mines in ECS:
  • Use TRAINS, long ones at that, and make sure you have at least one train available for loading at all times.
  • Deliver road vehicles to your mines to ensure maximum production capability.
Landsborough Central, Brondtown Mines.png
Landsborough Central, Brondtown Mines.png (891.9 KiB) Viewed 5123 times
Hope that helps...

Return to “General OpenTTD”