Help with Scenario Editor

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Hvid
Engineer
Engineer

Help with Scenario Editor

Post by Hvid »

Me and my friend like designing special maps, which requires us to place a fixed amount of industries of each kind. Sadly we can’t find any place in the map editor for this option.

Therefor it takes us several hours to design a map we’re happy with. We obviously would love to cut this task down, so I’m hoping that someone has a solution to our problem.

PLEASE :)
kamnet

Re: Help with Scenario Editor

Post by kamnet »

There is the "Build Many Random Industries" option in the Industries build menu, but there's no other control like there is for building cities.

This would be a great suggestion for improving OpenTTD, though.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

If you need to have fixed amount of industries during game play, use manualindustry newgrf which allow you to lock random creation/closure of industries (some other industry replacements have similar option).
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can also make a gamescript that places your industry, then you have all the control you will ever need.
Hvid
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hvid »

McZapkie wrote:If you need to have fixed amount of industries during game play, use manualindustry newgrf which allow you to lock random creation/closure of industries (some other industry replacements have similar option).
So this manualindustry newgrf will allowed me to set a fixed number for each type of industri in the scenario editor?
Eddi wrote:you can also make a gamescript that places your industry, then you have all the control you will ever need.
Is these kind of gamescripts easy to make? If not i would certainly be willing to donate if someone was willing to make one that fit my need
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Hvid wrote:
McZapkie wrote:If you need to have fixed amount of industries during game play, use manualindustry newgrf which allow you to lock random creation/closure of industries (some other industry replacements have similar option).
So this manualindustry newgrf will allowed me to set a fixed number for each type of industri in the scenario editor?
I'm not sure if I understand you properly, and what you mean by "scenario editor".
You can edit map from scratch (or height bitmap) - this is scenario editor - you can/must put all industries, rivers, towns etc manually,
or you can generate random map - this is NOT scenario editor, just map generation setting window, and you have only few options.

Mnualindustries grf mentioned above are useful if you are using "scenario editor" where industries are placed in well defined positions
and you don't want allow them to disappear and respawn in other random positions during game play - industreis are "frozen".

Additionally, if you want, during game play, to build industry (not by player) in certain positions and certain time instead of random, you need to use special game script.
I have such game script, but still buggy and not mature to publish it.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Right now in the Scenario Editor the only opinion is to place a random number of all industries, or to individually place each industry.

What they want is a function in the Scenario Editor that says "Place [x] number [y] industry on the map."
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

kamnet wrote:Right now in the Scenario Editor the only opinion is to place a random number of all industries, or to individually place each industry.

What they want is a function in the Scenario Editor that says "Place [x] number [y] industry on the map."
Or maybe they disambiguate scenario editor and this yellow random map intro screen.

Return to “General OpenTTD”