CargoDist confusion.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rollerghost
Engineer
Engineer

CargoDist confusion.

Post by Rollerghost »

?( I have searched the forum to find anything about how the Cargodist works, but could not find anything that filled my needs. I need someone to explain to me how this works. I am getting absolutely totally confused trying to get my head around this. A step by step (Almost like a tutorial" would be greatly appreciated. ?(
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: CargoDist confusion.

Post by Wahazar »

It works in a simple way - trying to send cargo from a source to all recipients, which are directly or indirectly (transfer is needed) connected to given source.
Try to connect three cities using one line and train stopping in each city, don't use any special orders, just go to and observe % of train load.
If station is away from city center, you can (and should) make bus line from station to city center - without any transfer orders.
Some passenger will go from city center to station only, some will transferred to train - simple and intuitive, what is confusing you?

PS. did you read manual? https://wiki.openttd.org/Passenger_and_ ... stribution
Rollerghost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rollerghost »

Ooops, I never got to reading that one. Will do so ASAP.
I really wanted to know if Caegodist woould be of help in distributing, say fertilizer, to a number of farms when I have a central depot where fertilizer are dropped from the producing industries. Call the depot A and four farms B, C D and E. I used to have four trucks for this. They were going A-B, A-C, A-D and A-E. With Cargodist, would the fertilizers be distributed among the frams with the trucks going like this: A-B-C-D-E.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Rollerghost wrote:With Cargodist, would the fertilizers be distributed among the farms with the trucks going like this: A-B-C-D-E?
Of course, however this truck will be almost empty when approaching E.
Probably better idea is to make 4 trucks A-B, 3 trucks B-C, 2 trucks C-D and one truck D-E (how many truck you really need, depend also on distances).
If you switch cargo flow diagram either for minimap or main window ("map" drop down menu) and wait, you can estimate if particular number of truck is optimal.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

mind you, that while each farm will get fertilizer allocated to it, the distribution may be uneven. (like first farm may get 50%, second farm 20%, third farm 15%, fourth farm 10% and fifth farm 5%)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Eddi wrote:mind you, that while each farm will get fertilizer allocated to it, the distribution may be uneven. (like first farm may get 50%, second farm 20%, third farm 15%, fourth farm 10% and fifth farm 5%)
Why? Because of different number of nodes, affecting demand scaler?
Rollerghost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rollerghost »

Just finished some testing. Not with trucks, but a train. Carrying Chemicals from a Refinery to a Glass Works and a Fertilizer Factory. It works like a charm. Both industries get what they need without me having to worry about directing a load of trucks manually.
Grayfox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Grayfox »

Hi I'm new here and this is my first post. So glad this game is still running and being updated by a great community of gamers. Thanks to all involved.

A lot has changed since my last 1.1.1 (I think) download and I had a question about CargoDist and Feeder systems. I read the above link and the one on Feeders but am still a little confused.

What I have is a central airport (Airport A) surrounded by like 4 or 5 cities. Each city has it's own bus station. If I set up a Feeder system from each separate city to the airport do I still have to set it as (Transfer and leave empty) so that passengers aren't dropped off and then hop right back on? I would like my airports to be loaded with passengers so my airplanes are always full (since often they make me the most money).

I also usually have one or two buses linking all the cities together and they don't have any special pick up or drop off orders they just go in one direction and come back the other hitting every city. But can I also have a bus or two connected to the airport with standard orders to the city bus stations or would that defeat the purpose of the Feeders?

Is it possible to make it "real world" where certain passengers are going to Airport A from the cities and others arriving from, let's say airport B go to A and then buses take them to the cities? Would I still need the "transfer and leave empty" specification?

Thanks a bunch in advance for any and all replies.

Best Regards,
-Grayfox
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Grayfox wrote:do I still have to set it as (Transfer and leave empty) so that passengers aren't dropped off and then hop right back on?
No.
can I also have a bus or two connected to the airport with standard orders to the city bus stations or would that defeat the purpose of the Feeders?
Yes, no.
Is it possible to make it "real world" where certain passengers are going to Airport A from the cities and others arriving from, let's say airport B go to A and then buses take them to the cities? Would I still need the "transfer and leave empty" specification?
Yes, no.

Essentially, cargodist means that passengers (or other freight packets) will select a destination that they want to get to on your network*, and then will use available means of transportation. You can build an airport outside of town and set up bus or train transfers to it, and you don't need anything other than the "go to" orders.

*Which is reachable using existing services.
Grayfox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Grayfox »

Awesome thank you so much for the quick reply. Seems I was knocking myself over the head making it more complicated then it had to be. Seems that CargoDist kind of let's you "set it and forget it" to quote an infomercial :P
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Grayfox wrote:Seems that CargoDist kind of let's you "set it and forget it" to quote an infomercial :P
It works in much more natural way, than all this classic TTD "cargo programming",
and allow you to perform actions even not possible in manual mode (for example to build airport in a middle of nowhere, beyond any city catchment area,
and provide inbound and outbound traffic with commuters and airplanes).
However I would not say "fire and forget" about cargodist, you should monitor your network and keep eye on possible narrow throats.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.

Return to “General OpenTTD”