Near or Far?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Near or Far?

Post by ccomley »

Having run out of trains - or, in one case, reached the aboslute capacity of a station, it's running trains in and out of platforms at the max speed possible unless there's a way of speeding up unloading times - I realised the next thing to try was extending my stations and lengthening the existing trains. I usually make five-tile long stations, seems to fit most requirements, but now i'm extending those that arn't hemmed in on this game to the full seven.

Where I have five-tile trains running in to seven-tile stations, and these trains don't need to be longer, it just offends aesthetically to have them go right to the front of the platform. Aha! I remembered you can have them stop at the near end or in the middle. So the passenger express now stops neatly in the middle of the platform which is also long enough for the big coal train.

Just wondering if there are any uses for the near/mid/far option *other* than aesthetics? Surely you can't have two short trains stop in one long platform coz the signalling won't let you? or will Path signalling allow that?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Near or Far?

Post by Alberth »

For terminus stations it would make a very small difference, but otherwise, yeah, just looking nice :)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

It is mostly aesthetics, but sometimes it might help with the traffic flow if the train stops at the near or far end as a result of the slightly different braking and accelerating points.

If you have short brake zones, a far end stop reduces the time the train spends on the splits, allowing higher throughput, while near end stops reduce the time a short train is in a longer station as it can accelerate to full speed instead of slowly reducing speed with a middle/far end stop and would allow a high/full speed merge.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

Cheers!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Split platforms. Oh god now there's a dream. Only requesting a path as far as the orders require, and allowing a train with a similar order to do the same.

I know it's impossible. But let me dream!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Would behave mostly like a sequence of RV drive-through stations, not sure that I like that.

Wouldn't you be able to fake it with two stations and a few 'fake station' new-objects? For the perfectionists, the signal should be much closer to the ground, I guess. You could even throw in a switch to a neighbouring track
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think it's already possible with a couple of station sets. But I guess you'd need to have dedicated terminus and through tracks then. But I'm being fussy.

Flickr

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Trains[SIC!...meant stations] can't be BUILT more than seven tiles long,but they can be extended past that length.So no limit has been reached there (I think the extension limit is 12 tiles.

If the station is long enough for two trains one can stop near and the other far at the same time,right?
Last edited by Baldy's Boss on 26 Aug 2014 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm afraid, Mr B. Boss, you're wrong on both counts.

You can't stop two trains in the same block (i.e. the station)

And the maximum train length can be set in advanced settings.

If you meant length of stations, the station spread can be set in the advanced settings too...

Flickr

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Dave wrote:I'm afraid, Mr B. Boss, you're wrong on both counts.

You can't stop two trains in the same block (i.e. the station)

And the maximum train length can be set in advanced settings.

If you meant length of stations, the station spread can be set in the advanced settings too...
Yes,I meant STATION length (I think 12 is as high as it can be set,it's where I have it set).
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

station_length.png
station_length.png (113.44 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
Station length seems coupled to station spread (which makes sense, as you shouldn't be able to build a station longer than your spread).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can easily build stations that are longer or wider than 7 with the "drag&drop" button.

And the station spread can be set to 64.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Eddi wrote: you can easily build stations that are longer or wider than 7 with the "drag&drop" button.
But this can´t override given max platform length or number by a station newGRF. Just for the record.

regards
Michael
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

michael blunck wrote:
Eddi wrote: you can easily build stations that are longer or wider than 7 with the "drag&drop" button.
But this can´t override given max platform length or number by a station newGRF. Just for the record.

regards
Michael
yes. but NewGRFs can easily set their limits larger than that. (and some NewGRFs actually require you to build larger stations)

Return to “General OpenTTD”