Possibility for a system for diagonal roads

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

richk67 wrote:Maybe we should have a board rule... if you resurrect a thread more than 1 year old, you have defacto volunteered to do the work. :)
I like. But who's going to enforce it?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

iNVERTED wrote:
XeryusTC wrote:Because 9 out of 10 times that isn't the case.
*shrug* You never know, I might decide to make this particular feature. :P
Yes, might, but it isn't sure.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
habell
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by habell »

This is going way OT here :!:
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

DaleStan wrote:
richk67 wrote:Maybe we should have a board rule... if you resurrect a thread more than 1 year old, you have defacto volunteered to do the work. :)
I like. But who's going to enforce it?
Wait a minute. There are newcomers in the forum and sometimes it is good to refresh our memory. As time passes some things can be seen from a different perspective.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
dadesign
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Possibility for a system for diagonal roads

Post by dadesign »

Hi all, I'm new to this forum!
For many years playing Transport Tycoon, and then in OpenTTD, diagonal theme dear to me very interesting, but unfortunately, I do not have the programming to such a degree to understand, it is possible or not to implement it. Drew an example of graphics in Photoshop, as it might look like.

If I turned out great!, If not everything is in order, ready to fix bugs (they are, of course). In any case, if the project will be adopted in the design, ready dorisovat all intersections and junctions of the sprites for all types of terrain.

mkad.jpg
mkad.jpg (182.89 KiB) Viewed 498 times
maxtimbo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maxtimbo »

New to the forums, been playing for a little over a year. I have been wanting this feature since I started playing. I don't know much coding, but I will try if some one would point me in the right direction as to where to start or look at in the source code. I see we also need graphics, which I may also be able to provide. Any one help me with this? I would love it to make this happen!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

maxtimbo wrote:New to the forums, been playing for a little over a year. I have been wanting this feature since I started playing. I don't know much coding, but I will try if some one would point me in the right direction as to where to start or look at in the source code. I see we also need graphics, which I may also be able to provide. Any one help me with this? I would love it to make this happen!
The starting place is (I assume anyway) the development page here http://www.openttd.org/en/development can obtain the source code from there, as well as how to compile it. You'll also need to know the language, which from a quick glance seems to be C++ or plain C, i'd guess at the former though..
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I have proposal: make a new map instance, "highways":
1. can be build diagonal
2. cannot cross normal road (only face2face connection possible) - it would decrease number of possible combination
3. always is one-way
4. pathfinder skip this road for slow vehicles (below 40 mph for example)
5. construction and maintenance costs are higher than normal road.
6. town authority is not using it for town growth.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Before everybody goes hog wild for roads again, please take the time to research the following topics:

1) Diagonal roads
2) RoadTypes NewGRF proposal
3) Re-arranging bits on the map array to make all of the above happen.

Peter1138, Andythenorth and Leanden have worked on efforts towards this in the past, and all have stalled out. It might be a good idea to see what work has been done in the past before getting anyones hopes up again.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

kamnet wrote:
2) RoadTypes NewGRF proposal
3) Re-arranging bits on the map array to make all of the above happen.
Do you mean this document:
http://pikka.users.tt-forums.net/wiki/i ... Definition ?
The issue mentioned here (side effects of upgrading road to expensive highway using crossings) can be overcome by, mentioned above, disabling of highway (or more generally, highest ranked road type) crossing with other road types (only head-to-head connection possible).
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Thanks for handy briefing. Search tool return high amount of unrelated stuff.

11 years of discussion? I'm afraid I'm beginning to understand the problem :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”