Total newbie, seeking tips!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

StuartStuff
Engineer
Engineer

Total newbie, seeking tips!

Post by StuartStuff »

Hi guys,

I post this with the best intentions, honestly. I used to play Transport Tycoon Deluxe but was never very good at it, just played because it was so fun and addictive and I've only recently discovered OpenTTD.

I've jumped into a few multiplayer games, only to realise just how bad I am at this compared to so many of you! I have zero knowledge of station layouts, acceptable etiquette etc and I'm keen to change that.

For you more experienced players I'm sure having a newbie come along creating, and I quote "ugly s*** stations" isn't much fun, and the constant moaning from said players isn't much fun for me either :) So like I said, keen to learn! Is there some kind of tutorials guide detailing different train stations layouts, or a wiki running through the finer points of the game?

Thanks in advance.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Total newbie, seeking tips!

Post by planetmaker »

Welcome to the forums :)
StuartStuff wrote: I post this with the best intentions, honestly. I used to play Transport Tycoon Deluxe but was never very good at it, just played because it was so fun and addictive and I've only recently discovered OpenTTD.

I've jumped into a few multiplayer games, only to realise just how bad I am at this compared to so many of you! I have zero knowledge of station layouts, acceptable etiquette etc and I'm keen to change that.

For you more experienced players I'm sure having a newbie come along creating, and I quote "ugly s*** stations" isn't much fun, and the constant moaning from said players isn't much fun for me either :) So like I said, keen to learn! Is there some kind of tutorials guide detailing different train stations layouts, or a wiki running through the finer points of the game?
We all started small and with somewhat bad designs. Generally there's not one good design though and it depends with which goals you play OpenTTD. If you play on a competitive server, you likely want an efficient network in terms of train throughput. I can suggest to have a look at the #openttdcoop wiki, blog and also at the PublicServer games for some interesting solutions. Of course the OpenTTD wiki has also some designs.

Generally there's no better way to learn than to team up with some similar-minded people and just build. And possibly try different designs and see what works best. You're welcome to join our #openttdcoop welcome server (uses 1.4.2-RC1); there's most often a few guys and gals online and they're usually happy to help. Obviously this is biased, you might want to checkout other servers, too ;)
Dave

Re: Total newbie, seeking tips!

Post by Dave »

I'd recommend you hone your skills in single player. It's a good sanitised environment where you won't face strong competition.

You'll also find you can develop your own playing style which will allow you to better choose the people you play with later.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “General OpenTTD”