is the openTTD wiki safe?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Robbedem
Engineer
Engineer

is the openTTD wiki safe?

Post by Robbedem »

When I try to acces the openTTD wiki I get a warning that it's an unsafe connection...

I haven't had this problem before, so that makes me worried that the site could be highjacked or something...

translation:
You have asked Firefox to make a secure connection with wiki.openttd.org, but we can not confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally websites will show a trusted identification when you want to set up a secure connetion, to prove that you are going to the right place. However the identity of this website can not be confirmed.
What should I do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you should not proceed.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: is the openTTD wiki safe?

Post by Eddi »

the website was recently changed to use https more consistently, which means you probably visited this site over http in the past, which would not display this kind of warning.

openttd, like many "free" project, does not use a "trusted authority" (government, microsoft, etc.) to issue their certificates, because that costs a lot of money. this means, firefox has no way of ensuring the validity of the certificate. this means that a "man in the middle" could potentially issue a certificate that sort of looks right, but is not. but the so-called "trusted authorities" don't exactly have a clean track record in that either...

in 99% of the cases, this is probably fine.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

I have no clue what Eddi is talking about, sadly. Nothing "recently" changed in regards to https.

This error, for you, is something to worry about. OpenTTD runs a valid and trusted certificate on their secured sockets (not an EV, but at least it is trusted, by all major browsers and OSes). Basically, how I see it, there are 2 possibilities:

1) you have a really old browser and/or OS, or your browser is just sad (and not supporting widely trusted CAs)

2) someone is playing a proxy for you, causing this (in that case) valid warning (MITM attack, basically)

Either way, sadly, it is a problem on your end. On our end, we serve https connections with a valid certificate from a trusted root CA. Without more information (like what is under the "Technische details" tab), there is not a lot more I can say / do for you.

PS: this warning is merely about your connection to our server, which cannot be validated as trusted. It is not related to the content, just about the transport method. So OpenTTD wiki is 'safe'. It is just your connection to our servers that cannot be validated as such.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

I have just been told it is a known problem with Firefox. and that Firefox (on Windows?) is just a sad sad browser. Use Chrome, would be my advise, FireFox is losing anyway :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

TrueBrain wrote:I have no clue what Eddi is talking about, sadly. Nothing "recently" changed in regards to https.

This error, for you, is something to worry about. OpenTTD runs a valid and trusted certificate on their secured sockets (not an EV, but at least it is trusted, by all major browsers and OSes). Basically, how I see it, there are 2 possibilities:

1) you have a really old browser and/or OS, or your browser is just sad (and not supporting widely trusted CAs)

2) someone is playing a proxy for you, causing this (in that case) valid warning (MITM attack, basically)

Either way, sadly, it is a problem on your end. On our end, we serve https connections with a valid certificate from a trusted root CA. Without more information (like what is under the "Technische details" tab), there is not a lot more I can say / do for you.

PS: this warning is merely about your connection to our server, which cannot be validated as trusted. It is not related to the content, just about the transport method. So OpenTTD wiki is 'safe'. It is just your connection to our servers that cannot be validated as such.
Firefox here on Windows, no problems, works just fine!
TrueBrain wrote:I have just been told it is a known problem with Firefox. and that Firefox (on Windows?) is just a sad sad browser. Use Chrome, would be my advise, FireFox is losing anyway :D
How dare you say that from my beloved decade old browser :D

This will be the year of Firefox, just wait and see (but do get a chair just in case, it's next year)! :D
Robbedem
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Robbedem »

I'm using updated windows 8.1, so that should be fine.
It seems that the problem is with Firefox indeed, since IE works fine (or it just ignores a possible unsafe connection)

It's annoying to have to use different browers for different websites though (IE has some problems too ;) )

Thanks for the quick replies
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

IE = trashcan (allthough ie11 can be acceptable ;) ), FF trash, not only for the many SSL warnings and bullcrap. been long away from FF now ;)

@eddi: there are certificates from 150$ on, per annum, whole webserver, and it was only 1 link i checked (entrust )

Return to “General OpenTTD”